Honey labels.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but it must be marked with at least 'Honey' and an indication of the country it was made in. You can just write this on the lid if you want.

http://www.-------------/local/northstaffordshire/bm~doc/tradingstandards-honey-2.pdf

That's the bbka website.

The BBKA information has some errors.
Notably the possible deregulation for honey "prepacked for direct sale".
The BBKA wrongly state that there is no need then for Lot Number and "Durability Indication" (best before).
If you take a look at the Food Standards Agency's Guide to the Honey Regs, (section 4.6 on page 16) you will see that the difference actually relates to the Country of Origin labelling … though they say it is a matter of interpretation as to whether there really is a difference for "prepacked direct sales" … their opinion is that there "may" be a difference!
The term “prepacked for direct sale” is defined in the FLR as a food that is prepacked by a retailer for sale by him or her on the premises where the food is packed, or from a vehicle or stall used by him or her.
Products which fall within this category will be subject to certain exemptions by virtue of Regulation 23 of the FLR. This applies to honey harvested at home and sold at the home, farmgate or in market stalls. Regulation 4(1) of the Honey Regulations requires certain additional labelling information such as an origin declaration to be given on specified honey products. It does provide that this is without prejudice to the generality of Part II of the Food Labelling Regulations 1996, which means that the general provisions in that part of the 1996 Regulations continue to apply. Part II of the 1996 Regulations through the application of regulation 23 provides that certain products which are prepacked for direct sale are exempt from the majority of the labelling requirements specified in Regulation 5 of the FLR, with certain specified exceptions. Since country of origin labelling is part of Regulation 5 (by way of Regulation 5(f) which is implemented via the 1998 amendment to the FLR), it is the Agency’s opinion that honey prepacked for direct sale may be exempt from the origin labelling requirements of the Honey Regulations. It should be noted though that this exemption would only apply for honey that is prepacked for direct sale.
http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/honeyguidance.pdf

Frankly, its simpler to put all the info on the label - whether for direct sales or indirect sales.

And the idea that Jam regulations apply to Honey is simply absurd.
The Jam & Similar products Regulations provide specific labelling and compositional requirements for Jams, jellies, marmalades, curds, mincemeat and sweetened chestnut purée.
So, not honey then?

Last edited:
Can you have two labels splitting the information so your labels to attract customers are not junked. Also can information be vertical ?

Can you have two labels splitting the information so your labels to attract customers are not junked. Also can information be vertical ?

I have the front label with 'Just Brynmair Welsh honey' then a smaller label on the back with all the mandatory stuff on. All the regulationsa say is that the 'compulsory' stuff must all be in the same field of vision

So, not honey then?
Yes, honey!

quote:
Where honey is sold loose or prepacked for direct sale, the labelling information may appear on a label, ticket or notice that is readily discernible to the intending purchaser.​

Love them all Redwood. do you take commissions?

here's mine plain simple and inkjet print on two labels per sheet and cut in guillotine don't sell enough to warrant printing costs

here's mine plain simple and inkjet print on two labels per sheet and cut in guillotine don't sell enough to warrant printing costs

Very Nice ... I'll give you the benefit of my classical education and some proof reading ...

Blaby (capital B)
England (Capital E)
Yeo (Capital Y)
Postcode LE8 4BG (Capitals again)
Willow Road (Capitals again)

What programme did you use to create them ?

thanks Pargyle , this is the one im using at the moment, the first one was rough copy. Should have been this one I use , double checked this time. Windows Publisher

like them too

thanks Pargyle , this is the one im using at the moment, the first one was rough copy. Should have been this one I use , double checked this time. Windows Publisher

Nice Job ... Indeed, using Windows Publisher VERY good ... I found it not the most user friendly of DTP programmes ... but I was brought up on Pagemaker, Quark and Coreldraw so perhaps I was driving on the wrong side of the road in my early days !!

I did go into the label bit in depth as I really didnt know what to use. Most of the bought ones, in my humble opinion are not that, well, erm, nice. Nothing really original.
I opted to use the Avery design page where all my stuff is now saved in the cloud and in pdf on my tablet and net book. Never had much luck in the ink jet world as most, well all my inkjets packed up and are now in landfill...Sorry...So laser it is. To find cheap toner first then match a good review printer to it and out came the Dell C1760NW. Its wifi too which is a bonus! I use standard A4 sheet address lables which can be bought via label planet for example very cheaply! My tamper labels are the 60 thin strips per sheet or something like. Will try and put an example up if I am ever allowed to post pics. Used to work but no longer. Maybe my tablet isnt liked?
The dell is available on Amazon at moment less than a £100 with toner istalled which I have printed out many many sheets with and still no sign of running out. Replacement toner just bought for when it does pack in at £24 a set! With chips!!
I constantly tweek my labels....because I can;-)

Hope this might help some one.....

I'm using my mono HP laser to print my (simple, all statutory info, only, but in simple and stylish type) 'design' from Avery's free DesignPro software onto Avery-clone laser-labels from Staples.

It ain't the greatest WYSISWYG software (feels like it was written for Windoze rather than the Mac), but it does do the job, and the price is definitely right.
It'll do lots more than I am doing with it, but I'm happy for now.

I have the front label with 'Just Brynmair Welsh honey' then a smaller label on the back with all the mandatory stuff on. All the regulationsa say is that the 'compulsory' stuff must all be in the same field of vision

So am I right in thinking that the "best before" date and lot number can be on a small handwritten sticker, but it must be on the body of the jar rather than the base or the lid?

Wouldn't think it has to be.

Loads of stuff you buy has best before printed on lid.

I do a separate label on back of jar.

So am I right in thinking that the "best before" date and lot number can be on a small handwritten sticker, but it must be on the body of the jar rather than the base or the lid?

You can either have it with the rest of the mandatory stuff or,putting BBE - see base of jar with the rest of the mandatory stuff is acceptable

The 'main' label must say something along the lines of "see lid for lot and best before". You have to refer to them in the same field of view as the other statutory info.

The 'main' statutory info label doesn't have to be the biggest or most prominent, but it does need to gather together all that is required, uninterrupted by other text or graphical matter. (So yes, overprinting it on a picture - like so many of the suppliers' designs - is technically a breach of the regulations --- but seemingly not so serious as for anyone to be bothered!)

ynyryvan.jpg

e5uza9eh.jpg

Picture a bit rubbish but you get the drift. Very simple, clean and customisable. Not worked out the cost per label yet. Per A4 sheet is 0.00? pence so super economy :)

Back