Honey Gate Valve

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollybell

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Having to expand my stock of honey buckets as the number of hives increase. I have put a plastic gate/valve into a bucket. The connection of the gate to the bucket passed a water drip test but there are water drips from the gate opening. Does this mean that the honey will also drip or will it be OK as honey is thicker than honey?

For bottling, you need to have the nuts at each side of the gate giving a roughly equal pressure.

Such drips as you may get - during the bottling process - are more likely to be from the gate "wiping" honey rather than from the seal.

However, when one has to store honey in a bucket with a honey gate, I do tend to tighten those nuts a bit, once the gate is properly in the closed position (and remember to loosen them before operating the valve!)

"Better" honey gates tend to have stiffer (less flexible/bendy, not harder to use) 'gates'. I have found those with thick plastic ribbing to keep them flat are much better than those without. And, so I am told, metal gates are better still.

http://www.maxantindustries.com/bottling.html

I could not warrant £1000s for a pro bottling plant from Swienty, so bought one of these non drip valves from Honey-Bell Maxtant... she did me a really good deal... but was well and truly screwed over by HM Revenue on import duty VAT etc etc...
I had a stainless tank modified for me from a German dealer.

I see that that Yankee cheepo Chineses importe MansPond or something have something similar on offer... probably a far east fake that does NOT do the job!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back