Honey extractor wich one ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Im going 2 buy a extractor before long. Got one colony at mo hopefully half dozen by end of year. I just need some advice what to get and what do other people use????

4 frame stainless with electric motor. Came from park beekeeping.

Sent from my ZTE-U V880 using Tapatalk

Can't help with which one (other than radial rather than tangential for general use but not Heather). I have a 1/2 share in a Th0rnes manual 9 frame radial, does supers from 4 hives fine. Spun capacity is only about 15 Kg though (about 2 cycles with full frames) but for something that gets used twice a year its a reasonable compromise. I certainly wouldn't go smaller if you are aiming for 6 hives and if you are thinking of going bigger think about storage, movement, fitting through doors and cost. Build quality is entirely acceptable. R

Last edited:
I am also looking for an extractor this year, can someone please tell me if all extractors will take Manley frames? I have noticed that some do specify they take Manley frames.

I suspect this is because of the weight?

It's because of the thickness of parts of the frame.

take a look at the giordan ones - look well made and much better price than the mainstream suppliers.

Mons. abeille has recently taken delivery of one and can probably asnwer any queries.

Toby - if going up to six colonies then you will have outgrown the bees on a budget one that Th**nes sell - good for one or two hives, but not six.

As the doc says, the Giordan spinners are very good value - mine was £350 for an 8 frame radial with two tangental cages for bigger frames, stainless steel and electric via a drill.

If thats too expensive check if your local assocaition have one for hire, ours lend a 9 framer out for a fiver, good value if you can wait to take your turn

Many of the budget extractors will NOT take Manley frames by reason of distance from cage face to extractor wall.

Double check that you can either get a special Manley adaptation, or buy another machine.

PH

Theres a german type on e bay that works out at about £300 for a 4 frame tangential manual which looks good value but I woldnt have a clue if it would work with manley frames.

Latest posts

Back