honey bucket dead on 20

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so

we did 2.5 hours in dehumidifier (i was playing football and mrs C C turned it off!) and ill refract that tomorrow (in sunlight) and see where it got to from 20.5

The problem you come up against using a dehumidifier is it can only remove moisture from the top surface of your bucket...so you may find the top of your honey is now 18% after 24 houris (or whatever) ...but dig a little deeper into your bucket and you are still at 20.5.....

so we put a few pounds in a food dehydrator in a pyrex dish on 40 degrees for 2.5 hours and it registered 19% this morning (in sunlight)

i specifically took 3 readings from different depths

any reason we shouldn't use this?

thanks A.

interesting observation is that the honey hasn't set again after dehydrator

so, it seems a good way of reducing moisture content and avoiding methods of preventing it setting too hard as it is mostly OSR

cant see why its not mentioned as a method elsewhere given the elaborate methods people have devised to drip honey through gutters with dehumidifiers going

After all this discussion can I suggest you keep one jar back with the high water content to see what happens. Honestly at 20.5 I wouldn't be that worried! I understand that if you are selling it there may be an issue though
E

For 2.5 hours, the build up of HMF (Hydroxymethylfurfural) would be negligible.

What does the build up of HMF actually do? Wikipedia only mentions it as a sickle cell inhibitor. Would there be any other reason to worry about it?

Apparently nothing to humans that matters! Let's face it, honey is used in cooking all the time
E

What does the build up of HMF actually do? Wikipedia only mentions it as a sickle cell inhibitor. Would there be any other reason to worry about it?

High concentrations of HMF if fed back to the bees would kill them. Trading standards have a limit to what the concentration is for human consumption, but we can tolerate it. Scroll down on this link https://www.fera.co.uk/food-safety/hmf.html

High concentrations of HMF if fed back to the bees would kill them. Trading standards have a limit to what the concentration is for human consumption, but we can tolerate it. Scroll down on this link https://www.fera.co.uk/food-safety/hmf.html

Oh dear. Wrong link? I’m curious, but that link only discusses testing, not the effects of HMF. Interesting service. Sounds like a service for retails stores to check the product quality from wholesalers.

will do Enrico

its all now at 19

i just want to be ultra cautious

was adding to the conversation as i think this is a simple solution given the more complex ones ive read about....

obviously i want to wait until bees have done the work rather than have the issue to rectify in the first place, however, i was bothered about getting OSR honey out of frames quickly

Latest posts

Back