honey and comb everywhere

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batcher

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My wbc has one super on. I noticed it being filled but not capped, so i left it alone for ten days. looked in today and they have built very uneven comb and filled it. whilst removing frames it is dragging comb from adjacent frames and dripping everywhere,although not 70-80% capped. I have taken 4 four frames off and replaced with new, grouping old and new frames together. Is it possible this is ready to extract? I need to do something. I can borrow another super from a friend but not until tomorrow.

Any advice?#
Thanks

if you shake the frame and honey is not dripping out, it is ready to extract...

Thanks Duchy. I think that is the case, although honey was dripping from the torn comb, a hard shake to dislodge bees seemed not to have dripped honey from the cells... OK, I'll extract.
Thanks again,

Playing with one super is a recipe for disaster . Honeybees need room , room to condition nectar in order to store as honey , room for expansion .
Please give these bees more room ASAP . I'm surprised they haven't swarmed by now .
I'm not having a go at you , I'm trying to have you avoid the pitfalls you are heading for.
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree
Get another drawn super under this one straightaway. Clear the one in a mess so you can sort it out at home away from the bees.

As the others have said, they need room hence the wild comb!

For every super I expect to get filled / capped I provide them with one for the processing of the nectar.
If they don't have space to ripen the nectar they will not cap the honey and will fill up the brood box with nectar.

Good advice from all of you. Thanks. I normally have nationals. this wbc is the first hive i bought, so keep it for sentiment. another super will be on in the morning. Thank you all.

Mate has dropped off the WBC super and I have pit it on. As it is getting a little late, I have put it on top of the full one until I can sort it all out tomorrow. Is this acceptable?
Thanks.

Back