Hoffman super vs consolation frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all a matter of technique, I also operate Hoffmans plus a follow board in my clients hives and find that I roll many more bees removing the board than I ever do working my own hives. People say that cut your fingers on the sharp edges but I use thin nitrile gloves to protect me against the propolis and can't remember the last glove I tore on the castellations.
The nice thing about using castellations is that the space between frames stays consistent no matter how much wax or propolis is deposited by the bees.
I was taught how to use castellations when I started at the teaching apiary and of all the hundreds of new beekeepers who have been trained there I don't know of many that now use anything different.
The difference in cost is significant (20% ish) but it's a pity that they only produce 14x12 in Hoffman spacings as I have them on castellations as well.

I have to agree with you about the board, I've started experimenting with thin correx ones. I knew an old timer who ran with castellations and he used the technique as well and made inspecting look easy. A few of my first hives had castellations and the benefit I saw were good, fat honey arcs on the combs.

Latest posts

Back