Hobbies?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nannysbees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Obviously being on this forum our main passion is bees, but does anyone have time for other hobbies or interests? My other love is sign language, fascinating and so priveleged to be able to use it in my job. Gardening is my other hobby, renewed this year by researching bee loving plants. What interests you?

Hobbies are a strange one for me now the day job has killed my intrest in my old hobbies, used to be metalbashing building machenes and cars. But spannering / repairing and building farm equipment and dealing with farmers has truly knackered that. So flat out into bees , house bashing and electronics and can see they be the only thing I’ll be Abel to do for. While anyway

Maintaining our 18th century chapel (as well as taking the one service a year still held there)
Genealogy (my own family tree as well as any one else who asks for help), local history, bit of gardening, Town councillor, Project Managing for Bees Abroad, running the local fishing club, farmer's hunt gun pack, bit of shooting,fishing etc when I feel up to it.
Shouting at idiots

Bread baking, sourdough and rye mainly. Cheese making occasionally.
I need a good rye loaf recipe that I could get away with in a bread machine. Sorry for blasphemy but I have serious wrist problems so proper kneading would cause pain for days. Last attempt was way too dense.

I need a good rye loaf recipe that I could get away with in a bread machine. Sorry for blasphemy but I have serious wrist problems so proper kneading would cause pain for days. Last attempt was way too dense.
I love making bread
But no knead
Ten minutes in this does the job better than I can

Attachments

• 14324127-2E43-4BAE-B57B-18464B002F84.jpeg
    14324127-2E43-4BAE-B57B-18464B002F84.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 8
Obviously being on this forum our main passion is bees, but does anyone have time for other hobbies or interests? My other love is sign language, fascinating and so priveleged to be able to use it in my job. Gardening is my other hobby, renewed this year by researching bee loving plants. What interests you?
Gardening, growing our own fruit & veg, developing a wildflower meadow, sourdough bread making, cooking, lots of yoga, keeping fit and hill walking. Plus in the winter I like to travel to experience interesting cultures & places in the world, hope to resume later this year!

I love making bread
But no knead
Ten minutes in this does the job better than I can
Yehhh that ... I bought one for 'er Indoors a few years ago .. included the pasta attachment and the ravioli maker ... still scoring brownie points on that purchase .. I also got a stainless steel sausage attachment from the USA and meat grinder ... only occasionally allowed to play with it though. They are not cheap bits of kit but they are built like a proverbial outhouse and about the only one on the market that comes anywhere near my 40 year old Kenwood Chef .... which, sadly, I still have ....

They are not cheap bits of kit but they are built like a proverbial outhouse and about the only one on the market that comes anywhere near my 40 year old Kenwood Chef .... which, sadly, I still have ....
My mother still has my grandmother's Kenwood chef, bought before my sister was born, so beats yours by at least five years

Have a look at how Richard Bertinet works his dough - very different action that may make it viable for you

I miss working in the MOT garage but currently have a discovery commercial which I'm converting to a flat bed pickup. engine is next on the list. it needs rings, shells, mains and valves regrinding and new stem seals before putting back together.
its done around 275000 miles, oil pressure was 38 psi, shells were worn but crank is perfect, there was a little blow bye into the crankcase which is just rings, you can still see the hatching on the bores should do us for another twenty years when finished.
currently moving into a new shed which will give me space to work on it and run our new bee equipment shop. then a complete rebuild of our 90 again, it will be fifteen years since going on the road and its starting to show.

As the wife requests, I make a lot of Borodinsky type rye bread. High hydration rye is difficult to work, so I normally don’t work it too much. Caraway powder/seeds and rye are best friends by the way... don’t really have any recipes, all in my head, each comes out a bit different...

Jumping out of air planes! I've done it twice now got a video of the second time, I Will be doing it again.

Hard+soft landscaping, growing runner beans.
The guys have 280 perennial plugs coming to grow on.
We took these hardwood cuttings last week.

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_142422.jpg
    IMG_20210128_142422.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210128_142417.jpg
    IMG_20210128_142417.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 15
My mother still has my grandmother's Kenwood chef, bought before my sister was born, so beats yours by at least five years
That is impressive .. mine was second hand when I bought it in about 1985 .. brilliant old machine and I've got loads of attachments for it. The only thing that went wrong was a resistor burnt out but there's a bloke who sells the kit to repair it for about £3 on ebay and with the instructions it's a dead easy fix. It's really noisy compared to the Kitchenaid and it's a bit clunky by comparison .. 'er indoors wanted me to get rid of it but I compromised and it's now consigned to a cupboard in a corner that she doesn't like using ... she will probably have me buried with it ...if it she doesn't hang it round my neck and drown me !

I get emotionally attached to some things ...

I really don't have time for many hobbies since retiring and taking beekeeping more seriously. I love making things mostly in wood but will turn my hand to most things in the shed or garden.
I am also a volunteer skipper for canal boat trips on the Wey and Arun Canal - not done a lot of that this year tho!

Latest posts

Back