Hives near playground

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a local school that has hives onsite as part of their science club.

but I bet the kids are not allowed to run in the playground in case they fall over.

I reckon that the bees prefer 'drinking' from warm (sunny) wet moss, rather than anything deeper.
But they are certainly attracted to smelly water. Whether its hot tub chemicals or cesspits, the smell certainly seems to raise the bees awareness. And they might even like the taste - as indicating mineralisation.
Putting sugar in the water may not help. It has no smell to help the bees find it, and secondly, if its only weak (did von Frisch say 2%?) its of no interest to the bees - more work than its worth!
Hence I'd suggest flagging up the intended water source with smell rather than sugar ... and making sure its location and presentation are attractive to the bees.

Consider creating a watering hole behind/side of main flight path.
A simple wooden barrel set at/on a slope with the contents allowed to drip onto a sloping board. Add a little sugar and or salt to the water, the bees should use in preference to the paddling pool.
VM

We have a pond.

The local Middle School is 100 meters away - as the bee flies. It also has a pond.

No complaints of any kids being stung in 4 years.

inspect at weekends?

I can because I have the combination to the locks.

Added advantage is that its not far from where I fill up the cars with gas so little or no extra travelling expenses.

I got a nice message suggesting I try elsewhere as they have changed their mind.
someone reminded them that there is also a nursery next door.
They we very kind though and suggested another place not far away.

I got a nice message suggesting I try elsewhere as they have changed their mind.
someone reminded them that there is also a nursery next door.
They we very kind though and suggested another place not far away.

Thats a shame.

No reason given? They'll say its down to H&S I suppose, but the assesment is all down to the school and if they consider that there would be any risk.

Thats a shame.

No reason given? They'll say its down to H&S I suppose, but the assesment is all down to the school and if they consider that there would be any risk.

They asked the other garden users if they minded and they said they thought it would not be safe next to a nursery and playground.

They asked the other garden users if they minded and they said they thought it would not be safe next to a nursery and playground.

Nimbys

I had a couple of neighbours complain about mine but in the end they didnt get anywhere.
Bloke from council said I had to move them.. I bluffed him out and hinted that I didnt think he had the authority to say so.. Phoned the newspapers and hey,,, next thing man from council says that as there had been no further complaints I could keep them, and I'm going to make the most of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back