Hives near playground

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebouche

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I have found a space near me which means I don't have to drive 25 miles to my hive(s). Its a couple of kilometers away and run by a charity. They have built a kids playground and a bee friendly meadow. The actual space for me is a fenced off old abandoned allotment with a locked gate.
The Thames is fairly close but the nearest water will be the kids paddling pool in the playground.
Does this sound like a high risk venture? I was thinking I could ask them to add chlorine or get permission to in the hope that this would discourage them as using it as their primary water source.

Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't site it anywhere near a kids playground, others might think differently.

I was thinking I could ask them to add chlorine or get permission to in the hope that this would discourage them as using it as their primary water source.

Honey bees are fond of chlorine in their water.

We had 9 hives at primary school back in the 80's. They were sited next to the school building not too far from the main entrance.

Yes they swarmed but never a nuisance.

My bees prefer a chlorinated swimming pool to any other water source

Should be a beehive or two and working school veg garden at all primary schools.

can you not provide a water source closer to your hives? may be a bird bath
Yes that's a good idea.
Could do that.
Still wondering what is a safe distance from their playground.
If they are grumpy after an inspection...wouldn't want them chasing sprogs.

Yes that's a good idea.
Could do that.

Depends on the terrain. We had an apiary for years around 10m from a football pitch but it was lower and there was a high hedge ~ 5m between the two. Those were Amm days so I did not do any manipulations around match time and especially at critical periods.

Yes that's a good idea.
Could do that.

If you put sugar syrup in the apiary the bees will find it. Then water it down to pure water gradually. Hopefully should keep using it as long as it doesnt run dry.

Hi,
I have found a space near me which means I don't have to drive 25 miles to my hive(s). Its a couple of kilometers away and run by a charity. They have built a kids playground and a bee friendly meadow. The actual space for me is a fenced off old abandoned allotment with a locked gate.
The Thames is fairly close but the nearest water will be the kids paddling pool in the playground.
Does this sound like a high risk venture? I was thinking I could ask them to add chlorine or get permission to in the hope that this would discourage them as using it as their primary water source.

Thanks

As long as the kids paddling pool is not heated you stand a chance...
Build a compost heap in a sunny spot and site your water source on it /surrounded by it...
I reckon the bees like their water warm.

If you put sugar syrup in the apiary the bees will find it. Then water it down to pure water gradually. Hopefully should keep using it as long as it doesnt run dry.

You will get bees from everywhere feeding on it

Yes that's a good idea.
Could do that.

How busy is the playground? I'd assume if the people who built it have also offered you a spot they have thought about this?

Maybe it worth one to two at first just to see what could happen?

Latest posts

Back