Hive Weights

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further apologies for further off topic chat but my wife and I moved in just six fields away from Llandod a year ago from the Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire area where we’d lived since ‘81. Back to beekeeping after a 30 year gap 😦 forgotten most of what we knew! Don’t know what this area will be like for the bees - time will tell. Looking forward to year two to come - Richard
There is a really good beekeeping group independent of the BBKA at knighton. Under normal circs they meet up a couple of times a year in a pub for a good old chinwag! If you are interested then pm me and I will send your details to them!

Had a day off during the week with not a whole lot to do, so did some weighing (except the landing board, polycarbonate cover board and bees of course). These are the numbers I came up with:
Stand - 1.42kg
Floor - 1.07kg
Landing Board - 1kg
Shallow brood + drawn frames - 4.78kg
Brood Box + drawn frames - 6.55kg
Polycarb cover Board - 0.5kg
Bees - 2.3kg

National brood and a half = 17.62kg (38.8lbs)
National single brood = 12.84kg (28.2lbs)

Actual hive weights (not including roof) were:
33kg (nadired super)
27kg (single brood)
39kg (brood + half)

Topped up hives 1 and 2 with just over 4kgs of fondant each.

Hi Richard.

Pre varroa??? I remember it well....sigh :cry:
Ah, yes, we didn't know how lucky we were 😕 I stopped keeping beess in about 1992 (just before I heard of Varroa) due to ill health that left me almost bed bound (not in the Ann Summers way though 🙈) for almost 25 years. Making something of a comeback now though and missed the bees all the time so my first year back. So much has changed though - I don't recognise any of their faces any more 🙁🙁🙁

Sorry to hear about your health, but glad that you're on the up and that bees are back on the agenda. These amazing little creatures are my best therapy when things go awry!🤗

Sorry to hear about your health, but glad that you're on the up and that bees are back on the agenda. These amazing little creatures are my best therapy when things go awry!🤗
Thanks about the health but bouncing back now in the last year or so so I don't care about the past anymore :) Couldn't agree more with you about the bees - I so missed them all those years and now am just happy to sit amongst them (not that I'm a leave-alone beekeeper! :giggle:). Picking up so much from this forum too.

Latest posts

Back