Hive vandalised

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like locking my bees in for any serious length of time - I think it stresses them at this time of the year when they really want to be out foraging. Even after a couple of days of lock up I think you will find bees still return to your front garden and if there's no hive they will make a nuisance of themselves. You might get lucky ... but you won't know until you open the hive.

If I was you I'd put a box out in the place in the front garden where the hive was so that you can collect any foragers with a retained memory of that spot - you can then keep tipping them back into your new location until they get the message or die ... or you get fed up of tippng irritated bees out of a box !
Good idea. Thank you!

I think the bait hive may have attracted something else!

02f1a29a391cd4c013f8d3edfd5543e4.jpg

Meanwhile, the old hive seems to be bringing in plenty of pollen today.

It could be and I need to inspect later on anyway so I'll be able to get a better idea of how many there are then.

It could be and I need to inspect later on anyway so I'll be able to get a better idea of how many there are then.

If you are really unlucky it could be all your flying bees in there !! Doesn't look like a swarm to me I'm afraid .. more like confused bees wondering where the queen pheremones are ... there seems to be quite a few on the ground as well .. are they dead or alive ?

If you are really unlucky it could be all your flying bees in there !! Doesn't look like a swarm to me I'm afraid .. more like confused bees wondering where the queen pheremones are ...
I thought I could see a few firing off their Nassonov glands but I could be mistaken. Would be very lucky to have caught a swarm!

If it's lost bees then I will relocate them later today.

Might be a better idea to have that hive nearer the hedge where people cant see it and the bees cant "skim" over the hedge into people.

Lot of dead bees on the floor......Robbing?

Might be a better idea to have that hive nearer the hedge where people cant see it and the bees cant "skim" over the hedge into people.

Lot of dead bees on the floor......Robbing?

I was thinking piano wire across the gap to deter scrotes ;)

I would suggest a 3 mile move for both sets of equipment, if you can contain the bees.

I've had that déjà vu before...

I was thinking piano wire across the gap to deter scrotes ;)

Electrified to cauterise any wounds?

Its fairly obvious that the gap in the hedge once had a pair of gates for the driveway...and the hedge is too hight to see over.........stick a couple of fencing panels there..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back