hive type

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you start off with standard Nationals you're likely to be looking for bigger brood boxes in a year or so's time unless you're confident enough to run double brood (two brood boxes), so it may be best to choose a larger box from the outset - either Commercial or Langstroth.

You can use Hamilton Converters to convert standard National to Commercial.
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/hamilton.html

I have some hamilton converters but I don't like 14x12 it's too large.

You can always try OSB hive. i am running 12x14 nationals but this year got one OSB going to see how it compares.

Lauri

The bottom line is ask yourself what is the most common hive used in the UK to which the answer is the National. Now if I were starting out again I would (again) start with the Nat as if you then decide you want something different it is a, easy to change over and b, easy enough to sell off the hives you no longer want.

At one point I had, Modified Dadant, Glen, WBC, Poly Nat and Lang, timber Nat and Lang, Smith and something else I can no longer remember.

I now run poly Nat only for verious reasons but mainly as it is the most common frame size.

KISS

PH

My advice is to use the hive type that holds its value the most. Beginners tend to give up after a few years and sell up. This may sound a bit pessimistic but is a realistic approach.
So I suggest go "National"

Poly 14 x 12: No brainer IMO ...

Single brood box so no faffing with double brood or brood and a half.
Bees seem to do well in poly - lot of commercial beekeepers are moving to poly.
Cheaper than (most) decent timber and better than (most) cheap timber.
Bees can overwinter on just the stores in a 14 x 12 brood box.
Frames ARE compatible with all other national footprints so incoming frames not a problem - outgoing (well would you want to give any away ?).
Lighter to handle than timber.
There's more .... but - once you start stick with whatever format you decide on - mismatched kit is a nightmare !

Latest posts

Back