hive tracks pro

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newportbuzz

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
i have been messing about with hivetracks for a while, but am considering using it in a serious way this season and beyond. However the pro version is 60 dollars a year (not insignificant to my wallet).

Any experience from users?
Is it worth the lump EVERY year?

thanks everyone.

Only you can answer whether it's worth the money and effort for you. Having tried it, you probably have as much practical knowledge as anyone else here. Couple of observations from a quick scan.

• General software buying caveats apply for any product that you store data in. To be any use, you're committing over several years. Ask yourself what happens if either you or they lose interest after a year or two.
  • Does it do what you want? If you're into honey production can you slice and dice the figures to identify where your production is profitable. If you're into queen rearing, can you track ancestry and identify the best performers by whatever criteria you choose? Some of the other products have fancy tricks like scan-able hive labels, GPS identification of which apiary you're in, automatic weather lookups for your inspection - maybe toys in most cases but if that's what you like does it have enough?
  • It's based on "cloud" storage. So their backup, reliability and security. Printed reports are listed, but not obvious otherwise how you'd move to something else in future. If you do use it, as a minimum keep regular reports as your backup.
  • Online access only. If you're happy transferring all your notes at home later fine, but that's extra work and prone to transfer errors. It takes real discipline to keep that up; the record keeping is easily put off and becomes a real chore to catch up. If you're thinking of using a phone/tablet as you go what's 3g or whatever like at all your sites? Is it workable on what you have got? Have you tried using the system on tablets or phones in the field?
  • Pro version adds features, but not basic functionality according to the sales pages. That's fine in that you can try it but are the extra features worth paying for? If most users consider they're not, income is going to be low. Either the producer is subsidising the online side or it's run on a shoestring. Either way, is that a reliable store for your records?
Generally: if you like the look of it, try using the free version seriously for a season or two. If the pro benefits look worthwhile, then go for them. If they're not then a donation helps pay for the server and might help it keep going into the future.

thanks for the reply. you have hit on most of the points i have spotted from browsing about on it.

its not really clear what extra features you get with pro?

as for loosing my notes that can happen with a lot of stuff. ill keep some form of backups proberly in the form of pictures.

i was hoping to use it in the field and my only two major downsides are propolis and sunlight. the sun makes the modern screens almost imposible to use in a field. (so some form of shade is needed) and most phones/tablets dont like white spirit or caustic soda to much. wonder why?

Back