Hive tools and washing soda

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That explains it!!!! Didn't mention this at the classes. They have taken two of mine this year, vanished into thin air. Thought I was just a bit dappy. Thinking of tying one on elastic in the manner of little kids gloves.

No idea if its the right thing, but only having two hives so not too worried about cross infection, I tend to leave mine until its gets too mucky then chuck it in the dishwasher

last time i cleaned mine was when i left it in the pocket of my Beesuit when i washed it in the washing Machine, made rather a racket though

Bee inspectors recommend 1 kg crystals to 4.5 l of water with few drops of washing up liquid. This is a lot and it's quite a strong mix.

That's what I use and I change mine about twice a season. I keep it in an old bonemeal tub with a sealable lid - the sort that you buy it in in bulk at the garden centre.
Be warned though if you're making it up to this strength it's caustically alkaline and you will get chemical burns if you get it on your skin. Use only if you use latex, nitrile, marigold, or similar gloves.

If I had to sterilize my tools, I burn heat with flame.

Alcalic stuffs are not healty to the beekeeper´s hand.

I do not handle with my tools neighbours hives. He must have his own.

Last edited:
At home, I have 6 hammers, 7 tape measures, 4 stanley knives, 4 set squares and buy pencils in boxes of 20. I have so many of these things to avoid having to look for them all the time.

All this time I thought I was the only one being targetted by the tool fairies!!!

Have even tried to blame my 7 year old son when he helps in shed/garage!!!

They never appear on CCTV or set alarms off.:conehead:

as this was woken up, is bio or non-bio better?

are there any favourite types of washing powder to be used with bees. do the scented powders annoy the bees?

I went hi-tech ages ago. All my tools have a built in cloaking device which switches itself on automatically if the tool doesn't move for 5 seconds. Put it down, count to 5, and it's gone.

I had mine camouflage painted a couple of years !
Haven't seen it since ?
VM

Buy good quality stainless steel and leave all tools that come into contact with bees in the soda solution all the time, I change the solution once a season but thats because it gets very dark from the propolis, but the tools stay spotless all the time, they even live in soda in the winter

:iagree: but i change the solution a couple of times a year and have a few tools to use alternately between the hives. :) chris

That explains it!!!! Didn't mention this at the classes. They have taken two of mine this year, vanished into thin air. Thought I was just a bit dappy. Thinking of tying one on elastic in the manner of little kids gloves.

Not lost any yet, though applies to all metal hand tools.

Probably not lost one as hold it all thevtime as was drummed in to me in training...

I've found a sure fire method for finding a missing hive tool. Give up looking for the missing one buy a new bigger and better tool - next time you stride to the apiary shiny new tool in hand - the missing one will appear (unfortunately within a week the new one will dissolve into thin air)

Back