The Latest Brexit Bonus?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
The gift that keeps on giving.................
During the apiary inspections yesterday I had loaded a tub of fresh Washing soda solution to change the dirty water at one of the apiaries. We got chatting about washing soda (as you do) and the fact I'd just ordered a delivery of soda for my depleted store when she said that during her rounds, quite a few beekeepers had bemoaned the fact that in many stores and supermarkets down West Washing soda's absence from the shelves was beginning to get a bit worrying, and more than one SBI had been complaining about difficulties in getting a new stock.

Last edited:
I remember as a lad there were three elderly spinsters living up the road (very devout lovely ladies who taught me at Sunday school) the 'Pentwyn virgins' as my father called them. If there was a shortage (or forecasted shortage) of anything, they'd be down to our shop in their little blue Morris Minor filling their bags. My father told his friend 'I bet, if they announced a shortage of condoms tomorrow, I could sell them a gross'

What do you use washing soda for. I’ve never seen a reference to it’s use over here
Hydrated Sodium Carbonate - great for cleaning and disinfecting hive tools etc, great for removing propolis, I keep a bucket at each apiary

The gift that keeps on giving.................
During the apiary inspections yesterday I had loaded a tub of fresh Washing soda solution to change the dirty water at one of the apiaries. e got chatting about washing soda (as you do) and the fact I'd just ordered a delivery of soda for my depleted store when she said that during her rounds, quite a few beekeepers had bemoaned the fact that in many stores and supermarkets down West Washing soda's absence from the shelves was beginning to get a bit worrying, and more than one SBI had been complaining about difficulties in getting a new stock.
Hope you had a clean bill of health 👍

Hydrated Sodium Carbonate - great for cleaning and disinfecting hive tools etc, great for removing propolis, I keep a bucket at each apiary

And likewise good at denaturing distress pheromones so plays a role in saving hives at risk of being overrun by 'frenzied feeding' wasps.

That’s good news, Who is doing the inspections
Karen Smith, Ceredigion's SBI (being on the edge of three SBI 'patches' does mean I see variety) Frank was hoping to tag along on some of the inspections as RBI, but then again, due to his grade most of his time is now tied up with meetings rather than seeing bees.

Distress hormones from the bees or wasps that some people like to squash on their hives?
Primarily from wasps. Squashing wasps on hives coats the hives with wasp alarm pheromones that act as a chemical magnet for any wasp that happens to detect them. Far more potent than the smell of honey. Wasp alarm pheromone also starts being produced when bees engage in defence of hives that results in wasp casualties at the hive.

Back