Hive Tool Cleaning Tube

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oandy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi i am fed up with transporting Tubs or Buckets with lids to clean Hive Tools. So i have made a tube from Waste pipe (the type that carries the water from sinks) to carry cleaning fluid i place Hive Tool in tube with Soda Crystals and a drop of Washing Up Liquid and warm Water (not boiling Water as it builds up Preasure and may blow the top off) Please only use 50mm Waste pipe as 32mm and 40mm are to small.Items needed. need 1--50mm waste pipe
2- 2x 50mm straight coupling
3- 2x 50mm access cap
4- Solvent weld
5- super glue

Cut Waste Pipe 60mm smaller than Hive Tool length. Solvent Weld straight couplings to pipe. Solvent Weld access cap to straight coupling. I also Solvent welded one end cap to the access body. Then the end that you are going to use,super glue the rubber O ring into rebate. If you want some thing bigger then use 110mm soil pipe and fittings Hope this Helps. Andy.

Last edited:
Good idea. Personally I will stick to the bucket as it will not fall over as easily, so can be left without the lid on, at the apiary.

RAB

Last edited:
I have similar fitted to rear seat tubes of my green ~ laner motorcycle to carry tools... long enough for tyre levers...............
(Dr S I think like me you sometimes get on the wrong forum!!!)

Last edited:
Good idea Dr S.

Epoxy resin some lead shot in the bottom end . That would make it more stable. A slightly wider base plate and it might stand up.

RAB

RAB

Do you stuff your gloves and smoker in that tube to clean them as well,or just carry a separate bucket around with bleace/soda in for cleaning them.

Hi i dont stand mine up as its does not leak i put in my bee bag, box. Why not put a hook on and hang it onto hive or belt like smoker. Andy

Last edited:
I see an opening in the market for disposable hive tools :cheers2:

need to recycle those disposable gloves...:) Like this idea however, nice to see some fresh thinking.

So to complete the set all thats needed is a disposable smoker and beesuit, plus a wheelie bin,or dustcart to take the rubbish home in.

fill it with nails, explosive and a mobile phone circuit board and it'll double up as a pipe bomb too.

Good idea. Personally I will stick to the bucket as it will not fall over as easily, so can be left without the lid on, at the apiary.

RAB

Lets hope that big brother is not looking out for keys words that will put up a flag.......:)

perhaps you could fix a pan scourer around inside of the neck of the tube too - help scrape off the propolis as you draw your weapon from it's holster.

Key words that are monitord for by our national security on the WWW, words such as b...s and e........s, etc, which puts up a red flag for them to look into to prevent trerrorism in the country.....

GCHQ

a call to local plod

Have you seen whats on the internet lately regards explosives and bomb making ect....what are GCHQ and plod doing about this,or can't they find the flags, whatever they are.

Back