Hive splitting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu H

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Morning,

My hives, up to now appear of 'over' wintered so far and i'm starting to plan for the coming season, When would be the best time to split each hive? Is there any preparation required before I start? I have been building up equipment which I will be constructing as soon as it starts to get a little warmer!

Thanks once again

Stu

Hi
Its all down to the weather when to start splitting.
best time to start will bee around the end of April to may
as soon as it is warm enought to feed start to give them a 1:1 suger this will fool them it to thinking there is a flow on and the queen will start to lay more
and produce the bees you need for the split.
Mike

Dates are immaterial.

There must be viable drones around (unless you are buying in a queen, or queens) and the colony should be strong enough for the split. You might be considering doing a 'shook swarm' on these colonies, after your EFB problems of last year.

Other things to consider might be what else you might want from your bees. It may be better to wait until after the first main flow, so that you achieve a reasonable honey crop, before making several splits from two, by then, very strong colonies.

Preparation? As above, you could give stimulative feed to get them brooding strongly early. But that might mean heavy feeding of a large colony, if conditions are not suitable for splitting. May mean they need a protein feed, as well, at that time.

So several things that the inexperienced can overlook. As just into your second year, I would advise a fairly conservative path for your expansion plans. Much easier to get it right that way - so easy to get into trouble trying to push events along at a too-fast pace.

Counting chickens comes to mind, just at this present time until the end of the winter.

My advice is simply to heft, feed as necessary (until the bees get going with brooding) and let things develop slowly while making your plan nearer the appropriate time.

It would have been helpful if you had indicated how much new equipment you are going to assemble, btw.

Regards, RAB

RAB,

Thank you for taking the time to reply,

I realise that winter is not yet over but as time moves on i've decided to plan early so as not to be caught out.

I'm hoping to expand to 4 hives, I have 4 brood boxes and 8 supers with all the ancillary equipment. I have left my current stock with 1 super each so they have their own stores as (I stand to be corrected) that by leaving them their own honey in a super it would be more benificial to them and in turn will reward me with a more robust colonies come spring. They have however been given rolled fondant as the super did appear a little light in weight.

I also wish to have impecable housekeeping due to my EFB scare last year. My current bees (EFB were destroyed under supervision of the bee inspector)are from a very reputable local beekeeper as I learnt my lessons from last year.

I hope you dont mind replying once again as I am keep to get thing right from the off this year!!!

Stu

Last year I seem to recollect that once the spring finally arrived then things took off like a rocket, so don't wait too long to get your kit built, least you get taken by surprise. Get that woolly hat, scarf and big jacket on.

I think a better plan might have been to have taken the honey and fed thymolated syrup, but that is something for you to consider next year now.

If you are going from two to four and have equipment for four only, I would knock up a nuc or two so that you have room for the unexpected whilst you obtain more boxes if necessary. It will keep your options open. even if they are only cheap and cheerful.

Hombre may well be correct with the thymolated syrup feed, but I prefer to let them feed themselves, too. No chance of supers (or even extracted brood frames) containing anything other than 'proppa' honey if nothing other than nectar and pollen has entered the hive!

As long as there is no other problem it should make little difference. Nosema comes to mind as one possibility.

I have 4 brood boxes and 8 supers

This is the new kit to make up, OK. If it includes your present two broods, you need at least another one for back-up. A couple of supers would double temporarily as a brood box (almost perfect for me as I am on 14 x 12s).

You will probably need extra broods (or supers for brooding), if they get strong, so make up all 4 broods and be ready for all options. I doubt you will need ten (or more) supers this year if you split both colonies - well not early on, anyway.

I would take the early flow and then split by whatever means you choose - A/S would be most appropriate, I would think. But watch out for early swarming if your colonies are strong and, particularly, if not enough brooding space. Both parts should be strong before any wasp troubles.

Again, as per Hombre, get that kit together, including frames (but without foundation, until required). It is surprising how quickly it can turn into a 'rushed job'.

You could pick your preferred queen and make sure queen cells are from her eggs. you could split just one hive for increase and pile the supers on the 'production' hive.

All sorts of options. Keep them open for as long as possible, is my suggestion. That way you still have a choice!

Regards, RAB

Stu H,

I think you may find that the bees will try to make up their own minds when they want to split. Make sure you don't let them swarm... Mine did in mid-flow and honey crop was seriously affected... Never again.

Ben P

having split my spring 2010 swarm (relatively) late in season last year and had no honey harvest my suggestion would be to plan things relative to LOCAL nectar flow and YOUR requirements for HONEY as well as INCREASE.

For me any split in this and future years will be after the cherry blossom (april) and acacia (may), when hives are up to full capacity and possibly ready to swarm anyway.

Any mixed blossom honey (if any) come summer is then a bonus.

BTW By split i presume you just mean taking a nuc off each hive to build up over the season????

Latest posts

Back