hive paint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widget

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I am planning to start keeping bees next year. I bought a second hand National hive which has been painted white. I have bought a stand and an additional super (yet to be assembled) and was planning to paint these white too. I bought some Zinsser Allcoat exterior satin paint which is water-based. However, after I had bought it I noticed you can ask questions on the website about the product. I asked if the paint was safe to paint a bee hive with. The reply states
"Unfortunately, as this is an exterior paint it does contain a biocide in the finished coating to assist in protecting the area applied from mould and mildew and this may be harmful to the bees."

The reply also suggested that I ask a beekeeping forum - so here I am!

Hoping for some helpful replies.

I use cuprinol garden shades., works a treat and comes in nice colours.

Zinsser is seriously good stuff and probably about the best around for many purposes....However i would never paint a wooden hive its just to much of an arse. Even if you have this 1 painted stick to wood stain for all future additions, its just so much easier and durrable. The paint will be fine to use if you still wish as its only on external surfaces and you could coat in pretty much any thing with no effect on the bees

I'm not too keen on paint.. from what i have seen over the years (not hives) but other wood it keeps the moisture inside the non breathable skin..which in turn rots it from the inside out.. you do not know till the paint start bubbling but by then it is too late.. a good quality wood preserver stops this from happening..

Latest posts

Back