Hive Jig - No not a new dance, but ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I am sure many experienced beekeepers on the forum have various methods to ensure they build their hives square and true. But, this jig was described to me in conversation with a bee farmer and I have found this basic tool to be useful to build square bee hives more easily. See attached drawing of my version of this jig, in pdf format.

Obviously you need to ensure the stops are at "right angles" when building the jig. Once the jig is ready take two sections of the hive body and force in to the "stops" . When building your bee hive box, remember to measure the diagonals before finally nailing, to cross check the hive box is square.

The purpose of the gap at the top left on the first page, is for making frames, again to ensure they are square. I also find the large flat area is much easier to build frames than directly on say, a workmate. The dimensions shown are for National, WBC, Commercial, Smith, Rose hives. Langstroth and Dadant will require a slightly larger jig area.

Last edited:
Oh, just one caveat: this method works for me, but please be sure the above Hive Jig drawing meets your requirements if you intend to build this jig.

Good luck!

I dont understand the idea of this jig to be honest?
Whats wrong with an old fashioned square?
Can be used for all sorts of hive construction and for frames too plus whatever other woodworking or metal working projects you have on the go...

Dont mean to dampen your post, but just dont get the idea behind it.

I dont understand the idea of this jig to be honest?
Whats wrong with an old fashioned square?
Can be used for all sorts of hive construction and for frames too plus whatever other woodworking or metal working projects you have on the go...

Dont mean to dampen your post, but just dont get the idea behind it.

No you are not dampening my post at all. I had exactly the same thoughts when the jig was described to me. But, I thought I would have a go at building one and personally have found it useful, hence my posting.

But, as you say it is no replacement for a square or measuring the diagonals of your hive box. It is a jig that I found aids hive construction, that all.

Last edited:
Yep, with merylvingien on this one. Cut to correct length and jointed properly they must be square if the diagonals are the same! I never nail either; long screws into end grain actually pull the joints together, which is what is required with many of the modern thin film glues available today.

Jigs are OK for repetitive work, but for a 'few off' it is likely just not worth the effort. I might expect Tom to use some jigs, but I rarely do. I made one for frame assembly, a long time ago, but it just does not get used with commercially cut components.

I will now have a look at the link!

RAB

I will now have a look at the link! RAB
:D I found that comment amusing RAB.

As I said in my second post make sure the drawing meets your requirements if you intend to build. I am not very good at woodwork, so probably found the jig to be more useful than some others that are better than me and I think you have a good point, a jig is can be useful for repetitive work.

Yep, with merylvingien on this one. Cut to correct length and jointed properly they must be square if the diagonals are the same! I never nail either; long screws into end grain actually pull the joints together, which is what is required with many of the modern thin film glues available today.

Jigs are OK for repetitive work, but for a 'few off' it is likely just not worth the effort. I might expect Tom to use some jigs, but I rarely do. I made one for frame assembly, a long time ago, but it just does not get used with commercially cut components.

I will now have a look at the link!

RAB

An old joiner friend of mine used to say " A nail is as good as a screw in an end grain" :cheers2:

John Wilkinson

Same here - no plans.
On the subject of jigs - it's a joiner's thing - as RAB said handy for repetitive work. Carpenters just get on and build it as making a jig would probably treble the work.:D

I guess that the jig is a conceptual model - think about it - groan.!

Sounds like a good idea and I would certainly like to have a look at it.

Op.... 23rd April, edited 2nd of may, my guess is that was when the link was removed.

And the OP was last on this forum on the 13th of July.

I'd echo what has already been said - if you're just making a couple then measure diagonals, if you're in 'mass production' then consider making-up a jig.

I'm currently using a big sheet of thick marine ply on top of a Kenyan Top Bar Hive (the best use I've found for it, so far ...) as a workbench - much better for accurate assembly than the WorkMate.

Did anybody download a copy of the jig graphic referred to ?

LJ

Latest posts

Back