What got you started? and what hive do you use?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got stung when I was 6
Took BBKA Basic last year... seems I had learnt not a lot in 60 years!
My favorite hive is the little Keiler top bar... have 50 of them.
The Native British dark honey bees do well in them.

Yeghes da

Did you pass?

Yes*

Even though when I graduated after retirement I vowed never to take another exam!

*Glad I had to demonstrate how to light a smoker as I was not used to the stripey Buckfarst hybrids that they held captive in their "training" apiary!!!
Rosemary water would have not done anything to calm their aggressiveness.

Nos da

Dragged along to a taster day by the other half at buckfast abbey. The story of them staying active all winter and the thin boxes did just not sit right. When I heard how much a new hive would cost, I knew I could build a hive better suited to the bees and cheaper. I started looking for what it was that suited the honeybees, I then realised no-one really knew what suited the honeybees, they either knew what suited themselves or went along with everybody else...

Interested in 2009. Read all winter. Went to Association Apiary early 2010, decided I like it, started with 2 x TBH - minimal cost start.

After 3 years and no honey!! - sat down and decided I wanted ease of handling , and top bee space - using Nationals on double brood at Association apiary showed what a lot of cack that was..

So made my own jumbo langs.. Now 7 of those plus 1 poly plus home made poly nucs plus hive cosies..

Various misadventures along the way (sore back, AFB, half a finger lost) but enjoy it.. even more than when I started.

Interesting re the jumbo Langs Madasafish. What reason do you have for using them besides just like to have fewer boxes to work with?

. I started looking for what it was that suited the honeybees, I then realised no-one really knew what suited the honeybees...

I asked one day, and they said that they want to sting me and they want escape with swarm.

I do think, that they were serious. They hate me, because I take all their honey off. They farted on me in cleansing flight. And not only once.

I am not sure, did they told the truth.

Latest posts

Back