Ornamental Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbalist

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I made this hive for my daughter 4 years ago. It is a "Tudor Inn" hive. The "Ground Floor" has internally a standard Commercial brood-box dimension. The first floor is a Dadant standard with an extra frame to make it square. Between the two is a QE in wide frame that supports the first floor and roof. It has an internal crown-board so the brood-box can be isolated and an upper crown-board to separate the ist floor (super) from the roof space.
The bees enter through a gap under the door-step. This - along with the whole width of the hive can be removed so that the entrance can be fully opened up. It functions very well as a breeding hive producing brood to support other hives in the apiary. It can produce honey in its 1st floor super - but this is not the primary function of this hive. It took three months to build and was one Hell of a lot of fun. My wife and daughter absolutely love it. It is positioned in the garden so my wife can watch it from the kitchen.

Attachments

• Hive 1.jpg
    Hive 1.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Hive 2.jpg
    Hive 2.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Hive 3.jpg
    Hive 3.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 92
The title said "ornamental hive", I was not expecting a functional ornate hive!

A truly fine piece of craftsmanship there m8.

I just love it when people like you make unique and wonderful things like that.

The entrance looks like it might get a bit tight in the summer, but its a fair size so should hopefully be OK.

You must upload a picture with the lid off at inspection time.

I made this hive for my daughter 4 years ago. It is a "Tudor Inn" hive. The "Ground Floor" has internally a standard Commercial brood-box dimension. The first floor is a Dadant standard with an extra frame to make it square. Between the two is a QE in wide frame that supports the first floor and roof. It has an internal crown-board so the brood-box can be isolated and an upper crown-board to separate the ist floor (super) from the roof space.
The bees enter through a gap under the door-step. This - along with the whole width of the hive can be removed so that the entrance can be fully opened up. It functions very well as a breeding hive producing brood to support other hives in the apiary. It can produce honey in its 1st floor super - but this is not the primary function of this hive. It took three months to build and was one Hell of a lot of fun. My wife and daughter absolutely love it. It is positioned in the garden so my wife can watch it from the kitchen.
Wonderful! What fantastic skills you have. No chance of your bees drifting into the wrong hive!
Thanks for sharing
Elaine

As an ornament it is beautiful.
Managing the bees is going the be a pain ?
disease control, , swarm control . Varroa control etc are going to be almost impossible ?
will the Inn hive lift off WBC style, revealing inner boxes happen?

Looks like one the P of W has.
Excellent detailed work there Herb, though just one in the apiary is more then enough to deal with one would think.

Really lovely job. I hope that your daughter realises that she's got a clever dad!
I made the mistake of showing the photos to my other half.,,

Last edited:

I'm very impressed by your woodworking skills. I also like the huge carved St Ambrose statue standing outside the door of Abelo's establishment with a beehive inside it.

Latest posts

Back