hive insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That pretty impressive Finnman. Do you happen to know the density of the polystyrene - not all poly hives are equal. The better stuff supposedly does not need to be painted, but I have no experience of poly hives so I just built my own insulated hive.

That pretty impressive Finnman. Do you happen to know the density of the polystyrene - not all poly hives are equal. The better stuff supposedly does not need to be painted, but I have no experience of poly hives so I just built my own insulated hive.

I must admit that I have learned nothing when I have have 30 years different style polystyrene boxes. I have built my own boxes too.

I have had single wood boxes too since 1966.

Nou. I do not happen to know nothing about density.

I see with bare eyes that boxes are not equal.
Put into boxes major wax moth larvae and look, how fast they come throught the wall. There is a difference.

Self made polyboxes are waste of human work.

Last edited:
you made a case for insulation in a colder climate. I was adding to it that there is also a case for insulation in a hotter climate as well.

Sorry you found the obvious so obscure

No I didn’t. Do learn to read properly. I simply compared the likelihood of colonies surviving with or without protection in different temperature regions. No mention of all year round, just the cooler periods.

Should have been simple to understand by most people. Most would recognise the use of the words ‘winter’ and ‘cluster’, but the less literate among us might not understand the subtleties of the wording, I suppose....

No I didn’t. Do learn to read properly. I simply compared the likelihood of colonies surviving with or without protection in different temperature regions. No mention of all year round, just the cooler periods.

Should have been simple to understand by most people. Most would recognise the use of the words ‘winter’ and ‘cluster’, but the less literate among us might not understand the subtleties of the wording, I suppose....

Well point me to the rule that states that you are not allowed to expand upon someone else' s reply and quote them. If a reply relates something to winter or cooler periods then a simple expansion is how it relates to summer.
Your tetchy aggressiveness strongly suggests no one can quote you unless they pedantically confine themselves to the exact situation.
I wasnt being contentious but it seems you want to start an argument of over nothing at all. I agreed with your reply and that is why I chose to expand upon it, However I will ensure that in future that when I quote you its only to refute your statements.

Last edited:
Only had a poke around one at a trade show... it does look fiddly in the flesh. and it does go for top ventilation in a big way. The walls look quite thin no sure if they are foam filled

As used and included in many continental hives where their usual summers are regularly much hotter than ours.
Look at the lyson Dadant hives, multi vents in the roof and one in each box. They don't include these vents for no reason.

european-dadant-beehive-painted.jpg

Only had a poke around one at a trade show... it does look fiddly in the flesh. and it does go for top ventilation in a big way. The walls look quite thin no sure if they are foam filled

I did a little reading about them. The walls are filled. It looks like a whole system of beekeeping based on ' traditional' methods, and yes ventilation in bucket loads. I think they originate from Turkey.

As used and included in many continental hives where their usual summers are regularly much hotter than ours.
Look at the lyson Dadant hives, multi vents in the roof and one in each box. They don't include these vents for no reason.

The reason for the vents is that they sell. All the engineering and bee research goes against sticking top vents in polystyrene hives. But the practice which started in wood is so well established that some will insist on it and so a brand which puts them will sell well.

The reason for the vents is that they sell..
You forget that the continentals have never had the (hopefully now defunct) British obsession with matchsticks and winter ventilation, those vents are there for specific reasons.
They regularly get summers over 30+C and use vents. I opened many of mine this summer, prevented the bearding that was going on outside overnight.
It ain't rocket science.
They are not advocating ventilation throughout the year (as we Brits did with matchsticks and crown boards)...just when necessary.
If you seal bees inside a poly hive they die from the heat they create.
Heat flows upwards...

You forget that the continentals have never had the (hopefully now defunct) British obsession with matchsticks and winter ventilation, those vents are there for specific reasons.
They regularly get summers over 30+C and use vents. I opened many of mine this summer, prevented the bearding that was going on outside overnight.
It ain't rocket science.
They are not advocating ventilation throughout the year (as we Brits did with matchsticks and crown boards)...just when necessary.
If you seal bees inside a poly hive they die from the heat they create.
Heat flows upwards...

you have a entrance at the bottom and insulate .... study in Saudi ... thats really hot and they did best. A study in Turkey used polys with roof vents and they did poorly compared to wood. The engineering theory on whats going on was done in 2012. This is all recent stuff so i doubt these vendors have based this on some in depth work. Come to the national honey show and we can argue it out after my presentation which will include some of this.
Edit: Just seen you are in the NE the national honey show is a bit far.

Last edited:
you have a entrance at the bottom and insulate .... study in Saudi ... thats really hot and they did best. A study in Turkey used polys with roof vents and they did poorly compared to wood.

Did Best? Did poorly?
What are they assessing there?
What I know about Saudi beekeeping is they keep hives in shade....it's TOO hot.

]

Roof vents are usual for ventilation of loft. Like me, I use breathing inner cover system and condensation moisture must be ventilated away from loft.

Just looking pictures you cannot know, which ventilation system the beekeeper uses and what is his explanation.

and one in each box. They don't include these vents for no ....]

I have too entrance in every box but I do not keep them all open. In supers they are all shut, if there are 4 supers.

I have done myself the entranced to each box.

Last edited:

It might be useful if they added the roof vents to their national hives, if, as is suggested, the next four summers will be like this one.

It might be useful if they added the roof vents to their national hives, if, as is suggested, the next four summers will be like this one.

I'll halve my hive numbers if tehy are: too much extracting!:icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back