Hive heating temperatures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in West Wales at 1200ft. Humidity is always high and we have long periods of temperatures below 0'c during winter. For several years after moving here I experienced heavy losses every winter - lovely healthy colonies in Autumn all dead first inspection in Spring; soul destroying. It came to the point 'do something about it or give up bee keeping'. I decided to heat my hives in Winter. What I did was place a 12w vivarium heater in the void, under the grid of the OMF. This has worked well for me as I have had few Winter losses since adopting this practice. I do appreciate it isn't practicable for out apiarys where electricity is not available.

I live in West Wales at 1200ft. Humidity is always high and we have long periods of temperatures below 0'c during winter. For several years after moving here I experienced heavy losses every winter ...

Welcome to the forum Charlieb.

Have you considered trying a polyhive?

Hi CharlieB, welcome to the forum- and thanks for sharing some solid experience, very useful post.

Latest posts

Back