Hive full of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've just been through my two hives and the brood box for one of them was full of stores with no brood. It had a super underneath it over winter. I moved the super above last week but forgot to take the QE with me so planned to put it on this week. As I didn't find any brood I didn't add it. The super is mostly drawn frames. I'm wondering whether the queen has just no room in the BB which is why she isn't laying? If she had no room then she could have gone up into the super but maybe she didn't fancy that? My other hive had lots of sealed brood but I didn't see many eggs or larvae so am reluctant to take a test frame from there (although I could do the cut out described in another thread).

I wondered whether if I gave them a couple of fresh frames in the brood box that might encourage her to lay if she is there? Or if she's not there then I need to give them a test frame.

The colony was a swarm I was given but they built up well and everything was normal over the autumn. I fed them quite a bit, maybe too much in hindsight.

There were a good number of bees in there, not as many as the other hive. Any thoughts about what might have happened? I probably need to give the, both a few days and reassess.

How full is that brood box?
Is there any space at all?
Seems like your queen if she is there should have been up in your super by now.
You do need a test frame...but if you can't spare a frame just a few cells with eggs cut out will do

It was pretty full. I didn't take notice at first expecting the first few frames to be stores then they all were. I was just thinking I might have a slight handle on this beekeeping lark but I was not expecting that. I'll go in again tomorrow and try and find a nice lot of eggs in the other hive. They have plenty of sealed brood so I guess I can take a frame with eggs if I find one. I'm not sure I feel confident with the cutting out bit.

It was pretty full. I didn't take notice at first expecting the first few frames to be stores then they all were. I was just thinking I might have a slight handle on this beekeeping lark but I was not expecting that. I'll go in again tomorrow and try and find a nice lot of eggs in the other hive. They have plenty of sealed brood so I guess I can take a frame with eggs if I find one. I'm not sure I feel confident with the cutting out bit.

I found the cutting part a bit hard, especially with the weather that was not that warm (19c) and still is not, so had to work fast.
I would say go for a frame, less hassle and quick, it's not a big loss for you, I chose to cut because it's a 14x12 five frames nuc, so removing a full frame of brood would have set them back too much.
I used a round shaped cutter, but if I had to do it again, I would simply use a sharp knife, as I had not choice but to sacrifice few capped cells to get those eggs.

I found the cutting part a bit hard, especially with the weather that was not that warm (19c) and still is not, so had to work fast.
I would say go for a frame, less hassle and quick, it's not a big loss for you, I chose to cut because it's a 14x12 five frames nuc, so removing a full frame of brood would have set them back too much.
I used a round shaped cutter, but if I had to do it again, I would simply use a sharp knife, as I had not choice but to sacrifice few capped cells to get those eggs.

Yes I think that's what I'm going to do. It doesn't sound easy and I'm already thrown by what I found yesterday so want to keep it simple. I'll go out with my magnifying glass and really check for eggs before I take a frame. Thanks

Well I've tried to go back in but the bees from my queened hive are having none of it. My queenless hive are just going to have to wait a few more days. I get the message.

Back