Hive Clean

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
having drops last year of 400+ per week on one hive (a swarm), i almost count mites in my sleep

The way i count is to use the flat blade of hive tool to clear a section at a time systematically across the board, pushing all the debris off and counting each varroa as the blade touches a mite

if it is really heavy I tend to count a quarter of the board them estimate the rest just by the count x4

Kaz welcome back

, i thought you would not be on the forum this morning, as you would have too many Valentine cards to open

From forum members perhaps?

Is Kaz the only single beekeeping female that contributes on here then?!!

:coolgleamA:

I use hiveclean at least once every 3 inspections. I also try and change the frames for clean foundation every year. This has helped to reduce varroa dramatically.

This year I am going to change my floors over to a model similar to the happykeeper floor. I am going to have made a board with long wooden dowelling rods that will run parallel to the frames. Between these rods will be a gap to allow debris to fall and will assist with ventillation.

I use hiveclean at least once every 3 inspections. I also try and change the frames for clean foundation every year. This has helped to reduce varroa dramatically.

This year I am going to change my floors over to a model similar to the happykeeper floor. I am going to have made a board with long wooden dowelling rods that will run parallel to the frames. Between these rods will be a gap to allow debris to fall and will assist with ventillation.

On 50 colonies? I expect that'll be a big and expensive job tberni!

My mentor didn't treat with OA in January, he want's to use Hive Clean at the end of Feb. The bees are out and look well, they are bringing back pollen and considering other posts have had the normal amounts of dead, less if anything. I've had a good look at the ones flying in and out and they look healthy, no deformity, no poo splashes anywhere. They seem active, healthy bees to my inexperienced eye. I'm just a little concerned about us not using what the majority of experienced beeks use. Anybody know anything about it? My mentor reckons it's better than OA.

I use it in the same way as your mentor. Works for me.
Cazza

Hiveclean

Yes, it will be expensive to change the frames (wax, not the frames) but I will at least to get it done. Changing the floors will also be expensive but I am keen on the idea and between reading about the happykeeper and John Hardings Debris floor this seems like a good idea. Best laid plans etc.

Latest posts

Back