Hive at school? Am I mad?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes we do in Eastbourne. There is a school called St Bedes and it is from 13 to 18 years and we have an Apiary there, the experienced beeks have been teaching one of the science masters about beekeeping, so there is one hive that he looks after with the students. The other three hives are looked after by the association, the school gets a lot of the honey to sell - it has worked well and the students are very keen. If you want any more information I could put you on to our chairman Jonathan Coote - or look him up on the EBKA website and he will be very happy to advise.
Hope this is helpful - Catch em young eh?
Louise

My childrens previous Primary school has an active bee club, mostly on old WBC hives donated a few years ago, the school caretaker is a mentor to many................. even convinced me to start up again.
Honey goes for a fair price at the school fete and the children learn how to extract, bottle and cook with honey.. plus get to make up frames and make beeswax candles.

Every school should have one!

That's the set up we have at the school. We are luck to have an allotment site right next to the school, which we access through a gate in the school playground. Our bee garden is sited on the nearest allotment plot, just through the gate, and the bees are on there. I am a volunteer parent and I'm still learning. There are pictures in my albums. If you would like any more information pm me, but it sounds like you've got it all sorted. The kids are so at ease around the bees, they have no fear and are fascinated. And rightly so :D

Small update - I've had the OK from both the health and safety people, and from the head honcho - so it's all looking good at the moment!

Just have to hope that the Biology department budget is as well funded as they claim!

:hurray:

Thanks for all your offers of PM assistance everyone - as kazmcc says though, I think I'm sorted at the moment... although don't be surprised if you hear from me after the first hive goes in!!!

Latest posts

Back