Hive and drum kit in garden!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This is to be my 1st year into bee-keeping. I have 2 nucleus on order for this June. One of the hives is to be placed at my sisters garden due to the ideal location. However her son recently was given a drum kit that has been set-up in the shed.

Is her garden now unsuitable to place the hive due to the noise issue?

:rolleyes:

I think it may depend on the bees! Some will be fine...and some may decide it is an ideal target...

My son plays his drums just a few feet away from some nuc hives in my garden. I've no idea what the bees think, but it's certainly unsuitable for me due to the noise.

This is to be my 1st year into bee-keeping. I have 2 nucleus on order for this June. One of the hives is to be placed at my sisters garden due to the ideal location. However her son recently was given a drum kit that has been set-up in the shed.

Is her garden now unsuitable to place the hive due to the noise issue?

:rolleyes:

I've played drums for 45 years, had bees for many of them next to rehearsal rooms and studios. Also kept bees next to busy train lines. Never had any issues.
Bees are plenty adaptable.
Bob

Try Gene Vincent's "Bee-Bop-A-Lula might increase their productivity :cool:

If you want to be on the safe side, just tell him to practice drumming wearing a bee suit, gloves and wellies!

One of the hives is to be placed at my sisters garden due to the ideal location. :

Bad idea. If you only plan to have 2 or 3 colonies you really need them together. The 'colony' is not the unit, the apiary is. And you need to read a bee book.

Not unsuitable for the bees, but may be unsuitable for the drummer. That in turn may be a blessing!:bigear:

Bad idea. If you only plan to have 2 or 3 colonies you really need them together. The 'colony' is not the unit, the apiary is. And you need to read a bee book.

Well I have read parts of numerous bee books and maybe i am missing the point you are trying to make!

The 2 nucleus are from different sources. One in the Peak district, the other from a beekeeper in Cornwall. Planned to place one of the nucleus with hive at my sisters as firstly she would like bee's and also she lives in a affluent area that is dense in flora and fauna.

Hi there.

Don't think it should be a problem for the 2 nuclei (pl.). The drums are in the shed..i would think he will also play there?
As long as the hives are not really close or standing up against the shed....

Greets
Phil

maybe i am missing the point you are trying to make!

I agree with MB. Colony manipulation can often involve the donation of brood, eggs, queen cells, comb, stock etc from one colony to another. Owning 2 hives is all very well but when they are located on two discrete sites will compromise your ability to react to some unexpected circumstances and at best complicates and drags out other planned manipulation activity. Keeping hives as a minimum of pairs is recommended partly for critical mass and partly for the above.

I keep my bees on the roof of a woodwork shed. Have spent many hours sanding, drilling and sawing with noisy power tools while bees come and go - hive entrances are less than a metre above my head, but never had a problem.

Sure the fact their flight path is above me helps, but the noise is no problem.

Latest posts

Back