High varroa count post-treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all,

With most of my bees I have been 'on it' this year, with Formic Pro (and formic acid delivered via a Nassenheider Professional) being administered late August - having moved to formic as my autumn 'treatment of choice' from thymol (either Apiguard or Apilife VAR). No worries there.

However, I have a couple of colonies at another location where I had taken my eye off the ball, and where I chose instead - and during September, so fairly late - to use some remaining stocks of Apilife VAR (still in date, just).

Mite drops were high, so I was presuming the treatment to have been effective. However, something has been niggling me; probably a combination of the dodgy September weather, the impending expiry of the product, but also due to a drop off in the activity at the entrance of one of the two hives.

So I went in yesterday, and did a quick alcohol wash.

In going into the brood nest to do this, I noted that both seemed to be lacking in open brood. That said, both were Q+ at last inspection. Good young Queens, too, so I have little worry there. I am presuming both the time of year and the thymol treatment have resulted in them going off lay.

Anyway, the results of the alcohol wash showed an 11% and a 13% infestation respectively. Hmmmmmmm.

The crux of my question is:
1) Am I right to be horrified by these numbers?
2) What would people suggest in relation to consequences (if I just cross my fingers), and remedial actions?

I am dead against miticides, so e.g. Apivar is out of the question for me. One option I have is to quickly bang a couple of Formic Pro on (it being just still within the temperature envelope), but feel I might be better served borrowing the Association's Varrox Eddy, and blasting with oxalic - especially given the lack of brood.

Thoughts, please!

Last edited:
The couple of times I've used ApiLife Var I've had to re-treat. The second time I tried it was because it was recommended by an academic in the USA on a YouTube video, so I thought I'd give it another try. I don't think it knocks down enough mites to be effective. (following my sample of 2 x 4 odd hives)

11 and 13% is about the highest rate I've ever seen! I had one a couple of years ago which had been treated the same but somehow generated 13% mites.

Vaping seems to be recommended by many but I've never used it.
Too late for Formic.
OA dribble in early to mid-December. Only 8 weeks away. They are probably tough enough to handle 13% mite level (?) Then maybe treat again with something else before supers go on next year.

Well done for measuring infestation properly. Now you know you can worry about it! There are probably many (me included this year) who are blissfully unaware.
It was a situation like this that pushed me into using Apivar. (sorry)

Latest posts

Back