Hi from Simon, Oxford Canal, Banbury!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am looking into the prospect if keeping a hive of Honey Bees. I am wondering if there are any Apiaries based in Banbury where I could keep them? Or if anyone can give me advice about keeping them near my Narrowboat? My Dad has two hives in a Surrey Apiary. Thanks for your time in reading this!

There was a Buddhist last year on the Bath and Avon who had a swarm move into his narrowboat. Not sure how it ended but he wouldn't have them moved due to his beliefs. Was near a friend's boat.

Obviously with towpaths and things would be hard to site safely near your boat (even if it never moves).

And welcome.

Hi Simon and welcome, the best thing is to try and find your own apiary site, just ask around it shouldn,t be to hard to find someone .

Hi Simon and welcome, the best thing is to try and find your own apiary site, just ask around it shouldn,t be to hard to find someone .

Don't be too sure about that - I've found that a lot of the public look horrified when told there is a box of 1000's of stinging insects within flying distance. Most often is the refrain 'but I have children!' Or 'I'm allergic to bees'.

Pick your target audience carefully.

I am looking into the prospect if keeping a hive of Honey Bees. I am wondering if there are any Apiaries based in Banbury where I could keep them? Or if anyone can give me advice about keeping them near my Narrowboat? My Dad has two hives in a Surrey Apiary. Thanks for your time in reading this!

:welcome: to the forum :)
Better still, keep 2 hives of honeybees. In case you lose a colony.

I am looking into the prospect if keeping a hive of Honey Bees. I am wondering if........anyone can give me advice about keeping them near my Narrowboat? !

Just to welcome you and suggest you take it gently.

This is not something just to barge into.
Lock carefully before you canal all your energies into it.

Dusty.

Thanks for all the welcomes and some corny phrases near the end of the postings! Firstly, I am quite content to find somewhere a few miles away rather than anywhere near the Boat and public towpath, it is not my wish to scare people who want a peaceful jaunt, and not fair to the Bees either!!

So if anyone knows of Beekeepers in the Banbury district which are able to facilitate one or two more hives, please let me know?

Thanks!

Simon

There was a Buddhist last year on the Bath and Avon who had a swarm move into his narrowboat. Not sure how it ended but he wouldn't have them moved due to his beliefs. Was near a friend's boat.

Obviously with towpaths and things would be hard to site safely near your boat (even if it never moves).

And welcome.

did the owner only move his boat at night, and more than 3 miles at a time? :)

Welcome Simon!

Latest posts

Back