Hi from Manchester

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyH100

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I collected a swarm mid summer. Not a large one but was doing ok. Fondant over holes in crown. Coming into winter high Varroa count. Too cold to move to a nuc. Did OA drip. Lots of dead bees. Nothing happening for a few weeks. had a look no activity, all dead. Looks like a combination of everything possible. Varroa, nosema, dysentery, covid, black bees- cold!, White specs varroa poo!, Furry edges, robbing! etc. I would be grateful if someone could give an analyses of some photos please. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
Sad sight, Tony. Well fed but not treated for varroa in the Autumn. What you are scooping out is bee bread, pollen/nectar. Last but one photo is mould.
Fouling in the hive could just be a sign of weakness as they died off. Get about thirty bees and take a look if you have or know someone with a microscope. If you can rule out nosema, you can clean up and re use the comb. A warm bath and light hosing will do a good job.

Agree with Steve. The poo is just what a small colony not getting out does. I have lost a small cut out that did the same.
Varroa likely did them in.
It happens.

Sad sight, Tony. Well fed but not treated for varroa in the Autumn. What you are scooping out is bee bread, pollen/nectar. Last but one photo is mould.
Fouling in the hive could just be a sign of weakness as they died off. Get about thirty bees and take a look if you have or know someone with a microscope. If you can rule out nosema, you can clean up and re use the comb. A warm bath and light hosing will do a good job.
Thank you very much for getting back to me, really appreciate your help. I will try to find someone with a microscope and do the nosema test, if I can. Again, many thanks.

Thank you very much for getting back to me, really appreciate your help. I will try to find someone with a microscope and do the nosema test, if I can. Again, many thanks.
An el cheapo microscope with 500x magnification can be found on selling sites such as eBay. I got one at a car boot some years ago complete with a few slides and cover glasses for ten pounds.

Just ordered one on eBay like you said, see how it goes. Hopefully not Nosema.cheers

Hi thanks for that, needs a big of study. Microscope won’t arrive till Sat, hopefully!
I guess I just need to discover Nosema and that will be that. Treat the hive accordingly. But I really hope it isn’t.

Cheers

Back