Hi - Bee's nest found...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon.hyde

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there, I'm not sure if this is correct place to post this. We have discovered a bee's nest in a storage area in the garden which has straw in it. (piture attached)

I'm wondering what best to do and what sort of bee's they are.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Regards

Simon

If they are not in the way then they can safely be left where they are. As for the exact type I am unsure, they are not honey bees but some sort of bumble bee

Last edited:
Nice pictures :).
As before the bees are bumblebees and form only small colonies which go through an annual life cycle culminating in the death of the colony save for newly mated Queens which leave the nest and find places to hibernate in .
Wax moths move in and consume the wax detritus left behind . Next spring these previously mated Queens find places of their own to repeat the cycle !
They don't occupy a site year on year :) ..
So if they aren't in the way , please leave them to get on with it, they are having a hard time of it already !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So they are bumble bees? They look different to the bumble bee's I have in my minds eye. As far as if they are in the way or not, the little critters have selected the small storage shed we have to keep the straw in for our chickens!

How long do they take up residence? And can they be moved without damaging the colony? Looking at them I can see small ball like 'things' just under the surface of the straw? Is this wax or would they be eggs (do they have eggs?!)

For the record they will be staying where they are unless they can be safely moved.

Lot's of questions! Sorry!

Thank you!

Simon

there are many types of bumble bees. The ball like thinks will have the new bees inside waiting to emerge. Glad you are ok about leaving them where they are.:winner1st:

Just took another photo of the eggs. Something everyone here has seen before no doubt but I'm most impressed by the fact that we've got little bees forming in the garden! hehe

Removing bumble bees rarely works :( .
One has to lift the entire nest (after the days flying is over) . Place it in a box and transport is a couple of miles to relocate in the bottom of a hedgerow ,top of a banking ,with some weather protection.
This isn't guaranteed to work !
If possible , leave alone , the nest should clear by Autumn !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahh. Autumn? Wow. The only issue here is that it's in the back garden right next to where we sit. I'm thinking we spend a lot of time outside (should we get the weather!) sitting, eating, BBQ's etc. How many bees are gong to result from this wee nest...? And if it looks like the practicalities of a nest in a small garden isn't going to work so well, is it better to move it whilst the eggs are in their current state rather than when they've hatched...? (Not that I 'want' it moved, but neither do I wan't to be pushed out of the back garden for the summer :) )

Just thinking of options!

Thank you!

In my last house we had a nest of red tailed bumble bees. Their exit was from in between paving stones under a fixed seat near the chiminea.
They never bothered us at all and the grandchildren loved watching their comings and goings.
Leave them bee.......

Lovely pictures by the way :)

ha ha.

Very good. And reassuring too. Thank you! :)

We are thinking of a "Bee-ware of the Bee's" sign ;)

I was asked to look at some bees in a work colleague's garden. They turned out to be bumbles but she would not allow them to stay, despite my assurances due to her new born child. They were in a bird box a couple of feet from the rear door at shoulder height. I moved them to behind my shed but they died out much to my regret. She would have sprayed them despite their lack of threat, so it was a no win situation.

You are very lucky if bumbles choose to live for a year in your garden, do your bit to help them and leave them be!

bunmble bees very very rarely sting, unless you start poking about in their nest. They will be fine where they are as long as they are not disturbed. They will probably ignore you going about their business.

Brown, black and white, look like Tree Bumblebees to me. Same as Erichalfbee, I had a nest right alongside the barbeque and no problems at all. I've also dug one up by mistake and all they did was try their best to fix the damage. Beautiful little creatures.

You are very lucky to have a colony of bumble bees, I had sand bees in my lawn last year and they were fascinating to watch. Everyone should have some bees of some kind .
Good luck with your new friends.

Just took another photo of the eggs. Something everyone here has seen before no doubt but I'm most impressed by the fact that we've got little bees forming in the garden! hehe

I've not seen that before- great picture, thanks.

I have a nest of little furry black bees in a bird nest box, above the back door - they take no notice of anyone going past.
They seem to like nestboxes - had another colony year before last, different nestbox :)

I've not seen that before- great picture, thanks.

If it is the tree bumble, it is one of the 'busier' bumble bees- they form nests of about 200-400, peanuts for honey bees, but quite a lot as bumbles go. They are quite active and will defend the nest (including stinging) if they feel threatened. Is it possible to arrange things so that their easiest exit from the shed is not directly over your table?

On the plus side they are an early season bee, and should be pretty much finished by the end of June.

Bombus hypnorum. Later in the year the males will 'dance' in front of the nest waiting to pounce on unsuspecting females so they can look quite nerous & scary but mostly just go about their business for most of the summer. Relatively new to these shores but fast taking over sites from our native bumbles. Fascinating to watch nature in action!

Latest posts

Back