Hexagon hive in gardens centre

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
i popped into syon park garden centre in twickenham on bank holiday monday and the person infront of me at the tills was buying an off the shelve Hexagon bee hive, i thought it was a hexagon warre hive but looking at it was not a warre

it appeared to be a national size box with hexagon outer cover but with top bars not frames

The purchaser paid £750 so it was a bit expensive but included bees and i think a two day course

who makes and markets them, having talked to the purchaser saying i was a beekeeper he did not have a clue, he was buying it as it looked nice for his small london garden ( the garden centre man had said to him, your bees will arrive in six weeks time (ha ha) and you should get honey in spring),,,,and li it came with one dozen free jar

it is all going to end it tears.... sorry i did not give him my address

That’s interesting just down the road from me will go and check it out me thinks.

i've thought about making an hex hive but wasn't sure whether to use top bars or try and fashion some frames into it, i only thought about it because last winter i started to build a large dovecote for someone on the allotment but he's not there now so i thought i would try this out. good idea or bad?

hexhive.jpg
?

the garden centre man had said to him, your bees will arrive in six weeks time (ha ha)

So the middle of October then. Really !!
Installing them should be interesting for a novice, especially if the frames dont fit and more so if the weather is sub 4'C when most colonies start to cluster.

I hope the course is within the next 6 weeks and they cover Autumn bee keeping and who ever it is they are buying the package or nuc of bees from will contact them and tell them their bees will arrive in Spring.

Anyone selling packages or nucs in October to a complete novice should be publicly named and shamed. :cuss:

Very pretty. That looks like a lot of expensive fur coating over some fairly standard knickers, with a touch of instant hive, just add water. Wildlife world have excelled themselves.

At that price it will only attract a select few - maybe the gardener will take care of it all... It'll end in tears for many. Does the pack include a free epipen? :rolleyes:

Its all about the Mhoney and control of All the markets, see the oldie worldie uneducated mentality buying into these nicely made eye candy from parts forein and see the traditional home makers loosing sales, see come the spring sales for the figures.

See the British makers possibly getting their wooden houses made in cheaper EU stables to stay in business, unless this bad idea is stamped out by a campain to educate the people selling these products to people who will buy these products with their disposable incomes.

Remember folks we are alone in the wilderness where bees are concerned. We are the only country in Europe that receive NO funding for private research and are governed by a bunch of polit beuorcrats doing their masters bank masters beconning.

Lets stop moaning and kindly go tell the truth to the outlets pushing this kit, do nothing and just see what happens.

Limited availability on this product - please contact James Allen on 01666 505333 for more details

Just in case anyone wants more details ;)

Limited availability on this product - please contact James Allen on 01666 505333 for more details

Just in case anyone wants more details ;)

Wow check out those numbers 666 @ 333 we got the devil mason keeper of said product :eek: I wonder where they are made? So I gave them a call, and they appear to bee made here in the Uk.

"Supers optional" eh?
:leaving:I know where to set up bait hives next year - near one of them hexagonal things!

Form over function methinks. From one of the stockists....

it is recommended to read bee-keeping literature prior to purchase

:rofl:

Of course it will end in tears for many, bees I mean.

Bobster

Latest posts

Back