Hives in a garden centre

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I have been asked by the garden centre where I buy my plants to install a large aquarium after the fact that I'm an aquarist came up in conversation. If they decide to go ahead, and the aquarium is indeed installed I will have to make regular visits, so I thought that I might as well ask if I can install a couple of hives in a remote corner of the place.

The area is very tempting, there is a lot of acacia, and I mean A LOT, plus fields, a few orchards and plenty of woodland. Also plenty of olive groves where wildflowers are usually allowed to grow. The field next to it is abandoned, and literally covered in white flowers that look like snow in summer.
Not sure how relevant the plants in the garden centre itself are going to be though.

The question is: has anyone done something similar? Is there anything in particular I should look out for and consider before doing something like this that may be different from the "normal" apiary? The garden centre itself is close to a village, but not in it. Maybe a ten minute walk to get to the outskirts of it.

The garden centre could also be a place where to sell the honey made from those hives.

Nice quiet fenced off corner and show them a label that is exclusively theirs with their name on it, they can charge a premium for the honey.
E

Latest posts

Back