HELP! Irate Wife

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floyd

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 National
Despite being in my 3rd year this is the first time of extracting honey.

So used my cider press to press the heather honey out of 12 frames. After 4 hours work, got 22lbs and a mention on Tony Blackburns Radio 2 Show.

Now my problem, Got ride of the sticky honey residue which I managed to get pretty much everywhere in the kitchen. However decided to render off the wax at the same time. I am now left in the following position.

22ltr jam pan
Le Cruestte cassarole dish
Pyrex disk
Muslin stainer
Honey strainer
Egg slice and slotted spoon

All covered in Wax! No mater how much I boil it, as soon as the water is poured away, the wax residual sets almost immediately.

Any tips? Maybe sleeping in the shed tonight.

Prompt advice appreciated

Not too sure how you got wax everywhere? If you mean honey though cold water is your friend.

PH

I used boiling water to recover the wax, was hoping that when it cooled I could scrape it off and present it to the wife to make candles.

However not it has cooled on the various surfaces, and wont budge I am pretty much screwed!

Fairly simple problem. Wax will float on the surface when heated past it's melting point in water. Allow to cool, and the wax solidify, before proceeding any further (items fully immersed in the water, of course).

Saponify the wax with a suitable alkaline solution - dishwasher powder or tablets, or washing soda (or even caustic soda with appropriate precautions).

There will be other alternatives.

Pour boiling water over the wax residue letting it drain freely onto the ground outside.....not the sink!, once it is off, put all the items in a dishwasher at a high temperature, this gets rid of the dry feel when you touch it! In the future get an old Pyrex dish, put honey and wax in it and put it in microwave till it melts. Let it cool, wax on block on top, knock hole in wax and pour off honey to use for cooking only, wash wax in cold water and bobs your uncle!

Thanks Guys,

Neat laundry solution plunged into boiling water seems to be working. Not sure how to manage the cooker top. Will bear in mind the advice given for future episodes (If allowed)

cheers

I haven't found anything that totally removes wax from cooking pots and they are mounting up in my shed hidden from my wife and need to find a product quick :eek: someone did suggest vodka :drool5:

Putting brown paper down over wax and then running an iron over the top is good way of getting it out of fabric. It should work on the cooker top but it would be a bit awkward to get it into the cooking pans!

After melting the wax (old pyrex jug in microwave as I am the wife) I did a bit of a Blue Peter job for straining my wax and got a tin which I washed and opened at both ends. I put a washing up cloth at one end which I secured with an elastic band and poured the hot wax through it into moulds. Then I could chuck everything else in the bin

You could try using a hot solution of washing soda or a cleaner containing ammonia. Both will clear a waxy residue. Brillo do a 'glass cleaner' that's very good - it's blue.

Or you could do the decent thing and buy some new pans and keep those solely for beekeeping ;)

Start talking about buying a motor bike. Should take her mind off it.

Copious quantities of cheap gin might work. Gives you time to get a head start. As far as the pans are concerned - buy some new ones.:biggrinjester:

Despite being in my 3rd year this is the first time of extracting honey.

So used my cider press to press the heather honey out of 12 frames. After 4 hours work, got 22lbs and a mention on Tony Blackburns Radio 2 Show.

Now my problem, Got ride of the sticky honey residue which I managed to get pretty much everywhere in the kitchen. However decided to render off the wax at the same time. I am now left in the following position.

22ltr jam pan
Le Cruestte cassarole dish
Pyrex disk
Muslin stainer
Honey strainer
Egg slice and slotted spoon

All covered in Wax! No mater how much I boil it, as soon as the water is poured away, the wax residual sets almost immediately.

Any tips? Maybe sleeping in the shed tonight.

Prompt advice appreciated
Reboil having weighed the articles down, leave to go cold , wax will have formed a solid on the surface of the water . Scoop off and bob's your uncle :)
VM

Wax covered objects can be cleaned by immersing in boiling water as many have suggested, making sure they stay below the surface/wax level.

But I think many have overlooked the 22 litre container. Quite a lot of boiling water and a very large vessel required!!!

White spirit can help lift thin waxy residues, still needs elbow grease though.

Wax covered objects can be cleaned by immersing in boiling water as many have suggested, making sure they stay below the surface/wax level.

But I think many have overlooked the 22 litre container. Quite a lot of boiling water and a very large vessel required!!!
22 litre no problem ,Fill will boiling water , leave well alone on cooling (cold), scoop off the wax , pour off the water , you now have only a thin band of wax attached to top circumference of container , invert over a sink, hold at an angle and pour boiling water ( a kettle full will suffice ) whilst rotating slowly. The residue will simply run off and down the plug hole (No it won't block the drain)
I've done this many times :)
VM

A standard tub-trug holds 40 litres, so 22 litres wouldn't require anything too big IMO

Latest posts

Back