HELP Do i have a queen ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So we are talking about image 3640 ?

JD

alright johnny
on the second to last picture in the bottom right hand corner is a virgin queen,possibly mated or possibly not , shut the hive up and leave it for about two weeks , by then if she is mated there will be some eggs, hatched larvae or maybe some sealed brood, if you have, make sure they have enough food and a super on , only one as i very much doubt they will fill more than that up. if however there is no eggs she wont be any good and its then up to you what you do, unite it with another hive or you could mess around by obtaining another frame with eggs on from someone else and and trying to raise a queen that way or buy in a queen, but as i say its up to you.
good luck

yes thats the one if you zoom in a bit you will notice that the legs are a slightly different colour, that is one way of finding the queen when looking for her.

Wow that is some find....I would never have found that, OK so i have left 1 super on and added a frame of honey back into the super that i removed before the varroa treatment

So i just wait two weeks now ?

JD

yes thats the one if you zoom in a bit you will notice that the legs are a slightly different colour, that is one way of finding the queen when looking for her.

Well if there are no eggs she is either a virgin or has stopped laying.

educated guess :) in all honesty her abdomen is shorter than a fully fledged mated queen but that doesn't mean to say she hasn't been out and got mated recently. if you notice a lot of activity outside the hive and more than usual amount of drones coming out then she may be on a mating flight, as i say leave it for about a couple of weeks and by then you'll know for sure

Hi All

Remember me from last weekend ? I have just inspected my hive again and think I have some definative pics of my new queen who is now laying, can anyone take a look at these pics and see if i have it right? Image 3640 is the one from last week with the suspected queen bottom right, the rest are today

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62897391@N08/

I'm sooooo happy ;)

JohnnyD

Hi JohnnyD

Your queen is certainly there showing up well.
Couldn't see eggs in the pictures but if you've seen them all should be well.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back