Help, angry Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin921

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

Checked my hive this morning and my usually calm bees were quite aggressive. I checked the super which contained a number of frames containing uncapped honey cells and bees which were calm.

Then began checking brood frames and these contained the usual including pollen stores, honey, grubs, etc. As I checked each frame the bees became more and more agitated and one even managed to sting me through my leather glove! Others were keen to join the attack.

I didn't locate the queen ( I am new to this hobby) but this was difficult through the haze of agitated bees. I used my smoker but it had little effect.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin.

Can't say why your bees have become aggressive, but keep a water sprayer handy, that will control them a little if smoking has no effect.

No need to look for the queen just look to see if there are newly laid eggs. they can become defensive for a number of reasons , such as perfume/aftershave, sweat, queen less.

Thanks, I will try the water sprayer when I check them again next week.

There are definitely eggs present, so I guess that is good news.

I don't use aftershave (I have a beard) but it was pretty hot under the veil and jacket so maybe some perspiration dripped on the bees!

They can get defensive as they build up their honey stores. Although you can go into the hive a different day and they will be calm.

Hi Martin,
I think they get a bit narked at the moment because everyone's inspections takes a bit longer because we are scrutinising frames for QC! Last three frames and mine have had enough, but as they release the alarm pheromone I have taken to giving them a good dose of smoke to mask the smell and complete the job. I have found that water spray no good at this stage.

Norton, yes I smoked them before opening the hive and then gave the top of each frame a waft of smoke before lifting it. It just seemed to irritate them even more.

Hi Beano, the bees in the super were pretty calm but by the time I lifted out the third brood frame the bees were getting pretty agitated.

You are right though about the inspections taking longer. Of course, I only collected my first nucleus of bees on the 15th June and so inspections for the next few weeks only involved looking at 6 or 7 frames. It probably takes me longer as well as I am new to this and it no doubt takes a while to get your eye in.

What do you put in your smoker? I am using cardboard packaging.

Could that be the problem?

What do you put in your smoker? I am using cardboard packaging.

Could that be the problem?
It could, but if you've had no problem before, might not be that. I found corrugated cardboard caused a lot of tar and the smoke was acrid, egg boxes and other pulp type card seems milder. I start my smoker with this and top up with dry rotten wood and finally a hessian pad to help filter and collect tar.
Your nuc has expanded into a colony now and they are aware of their strength and are bold enough to let you know. We can all have an off day and with the bees, you or I will only be guessing at the reason. I've had a normally pleasant colony boil over like lava the moment I cracked the CB, stinging immediately. Next inspection calm as could be.
The important thing to remember is to react to the situation. The occasion above, I closed down at once! When you hear that tone begin to change, you should start to think about bringing your inspection to an end. Of course there are some things that have to be done at times.

I think they get a bit narked at the moment because everyone's inspections takes a bit longer because we are scrutinising frames for QC! QUOTE]

You may be taking longer Beeno but I am not. Mainly because my swarm time has passed weeks ago and so I have no need to check all the frames. Just a quick BIAS and disease check.

I'm sure Martin, that you are being very careful to be as gentle as possible, starting your frame opening on the left, moving to the right so you only pass your hands over the frames once.

Try to breathe as softly as possible as this can also wind them up.

If you use a dummy board then you can take it out at one end, move the frames up as you go and put it back at the other end so you only move the frames once.

You will get used to the angry bees if this state remains and learn to ignore them and get on with things if needed. If this persists, you may need to requeen.

Cazza

my bees which have been calm all year have turned very aggressive,the smallholding where they are kept had to close the house windows,the dogs were stung and so was the owner on arriving home later that day.

Do you use cover boards while inspecting? We have two pieces of black corex that we put on top of the frames and move them along as I inspect keeps the ones down below in the dark

Bamboo mats are good too, the type you get in Chinese restaurants ..... Not that you should steal them! Also keep a can of fabi spray handy, bought from bee suppliers, the bees hate it but if you get to the point where all you want to do is get them back together and close them up, a squirt of that will keep them well out of your way for a couple of minutes, long enough to get the frames back in and the roof on before you run for it. The bees will sense your worry by the way so try and stay calm. I do it by talking to them! Mad or what!
E

Swarm, I will review what I have available to use in the smoker.

Cazza, I don't use a dummy board but I do start at the left and move to the right. I try to be a gentle and smooth as possible although I do seem to crush the odd bee when I replace the frames.

Elaine, no I don't use cover boards but I will create some ready for the next inspection.

Enrico, the fabi spray sounds like a good plan.

I always try to be careful when rebuilding the hive but some of the bees seem intent on getting themselves crushed, either when I put the queen excluder in place or when I put the super on.

BTW - has anyone any advice on how to clean propolis from leather gauntlets?

Sw

I always try to be careful when rebuilding the hive but some of the bees seem intent on getting themselves crushed, either when I put the queen excluder in place or when I put the super on.

This is a matter of practise. I'm sure you know to place the QE or super on at an angle to start with and then turn it into place. It also helps to put the super down very very slowly and then the bees get a chance to shift before they are crushed.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back