Hello from Oxfordshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I'm just halfway through my beginners course with the Vale and Downlands bee keeping association. First hive is built and bees ordered. Really looking forward to getting properly started and learning how to nurture my bees.

I live in Steventon just south of Abingdon.

For the first year, I will keep my bees at the association's training apiary and have the help of a mentor - a great system. I think my major worry is where to keep them after that. Any tips on how to approach local farmers and landowners gratefully received.

Regards to all

John Broadbent

Welcome. Like you I'm new, just busy painting my 1st hive and looking forward to the year ahead. Im sure you'll agree theres so much to learn but this site and the members are super in helping us newbies with this.

What Hive did you get?

There's a multitude of options open.

Think out of the box;
Church yards,
Cricket club fields,
Rugby clubs,
Pub Beer gardens?

Hi All, thanks for your useful comments. To answer the question I went for a national in red cedar on the advice of the association. Can't decide whether to paint, varnish or leave alone. - everyone's advice is different :). Also aware I will have to very quickly get a second hive either for management or to house a second colony. I quite fancy trying a poly hive just so I can compare the two

John

PS Every time I drive around I'm now keeping an eye out for potential sites

Incase you haven't seen and I'm sure there are loads of deals but Paynes still have a winter sale on their Poly hives. Basic Poly 14x12 (Jumbo) National Hive - Empty (No Frames) is £58 .....

Hi,

I'm just halfway through my beginners course with the Vale and Downlands bee keeping association. First hive is built and bees ordered. Really looking forward to getting properly started and learning how to nurture my bees.

I live in Steventon just south of Abingdon.

For the first year, I will keep my bees at the association's training apiary and have the help of a mentor - a great system. I think my major worry is where to keep them after that. Any tips on how to approach local farmers and landowners gratefully received.

Regards to all

John Broadbent

Hi John, Re keeping hives on farms etc, dont be afraid to ask but, you will want more than one hive, its generic i am afraid!! lol However, always find the place first, never go to someone to ask "do they have a space somewhere"
Find a place in an area you can get right along side or very near with the car, be really fussy. The fussier you are, the more long term hassle free beekeeping you will get.
Like most, i learnt the hard way and obviously still learning. One of my apiaries was down a 150 meter track. 3 years later i am still recovering from the harvest lol

Seriously, it pays dividends. Farmers are the best. They dont want payment, but you give it obviously anyway. Most are happy to have another friendly person popping through every few days they can trust. They will love your honey!!! Theres a lot of good will towards beekeepers, you will be surprised.
I have had others who the first thing they ask is " whats in it for me" the second you hear that, be prepared to walk. Its going to be a battle. I am not tarring everybody with the same brush, but there is a few you need to avoid. Theres nothing worse than not wanting to go to the apiary, because you dont like the landowner, or having to move your hives in the middle of the flow because the landowner decided he dosent like your now huge summer colonies of bees. Be bold and honest about the bees to the owner.
Often your educating them. I've got great clients now, its taken a while where in a few apiaries, they were very worried about having bees on their property but perhaps i bored them so much, they just gave in but usually its the bribery with a few pots of honey, when you first think they might allow you on site that does the trick. Your also providing a good pollinator service, free and also increasing the biodiversity to an area.
Bear in mind you may also have beekeeper neighbours, so ask carefully at your association as to not rock the boat. Some beekeepers get mightily worried (myself included) about another beekeeper opening an apiary near by. if you get to know who's who, this again will help you tons. you might even get a frendly mentor to help you. Try and stay 3 miles from any other apiaries. This will help you if there is a disease outbreak.

Use google earth and use the measurement tool, it gives you ideas of distances from or too forage etc. Really easy to find good spots like that. Your closest mixed forage needs to be generally within 1 to 1.5 kilometres.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
Jerry R.

Hi all

Just spent ages reading all the comments which I found most interesting as I am just starting out on my new adventure. I was particularly interested in a thread going back many years from a Greek gentleman who wrote about a beekeeper called Panos who lived on the Greek island of Paxos. This island is my spiritual home and hopefully one day I will move there. The thread stopped and I wondered if anyone had read anything further as I would like to get in touch with him. I was introduced to bees by an amazing greek lady who was the government apiarist in Rhodesia back in 1970.

Hello from Oxford! I've heard the V&D association is really supportive and friendly. Good luck with your bees.

Elly

Thanks again, some great advice. I found 2 potential sites today and am just in the process of contacting the landowners - I'll bear in mind your great tips 'plenty of honey'. I especially like the idea of walking away if things don't feel right. Thanks to the availability of the association's training apiary I can take time getting it right.

Yes, definitely confirm that V & D are very supportive and run some interesting monthly get together with talks and practical advice.

Just checking out Paynes sale - thanks MJB.

I understand the need/wish to be 3 miles away - but there does seem to be some hesitation to reveal exact locations - I fully understand why but makes knowing who you might be close to tricky

And Elly, thanks for your good wishes :)

John

Latest posts

Back