Hello from north Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All mine are strapped to the stand and there's a concrete block or a pile of old roofing slates sitting on bearers under the stand.
Yesterday I moved two hives onto new stands about 200 metres away and realised they probably don't need straps just now..... "glued" to the ground is a very apt description for a winter-ready hive!
It’s more the roofs blowing away that worries me if there are strong enough gusts!

It’s more the roofs blowing away that worries me if there are strong enough gusts!

True. My roofs are very deep, being quasi-hive cosies, but that would be a worry. I'm always surprised that one brick or half a block is sufficient in many locations.....it would be ineffective where I am.
Anyway, I expect no problems in the near future as it's flat calm and snow has arrived.

Attachments

• 20221213_084348.jpg
    20221213_084348.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi everyone :)

Beginner beekeeper here. I'll shortly be setting up my first couple of hives in an out apiary on the east coast, north of Inverness. It's a lovely site in an old overgrown walled garden, but it's right on the coast and will be quite exposed depending on the wind direction. I'm working out the best way to secure the hives, and will probably set up some screening. I'm sure I'll have a few questions as I go along!

Anyone else have similar conditions to deal with?
Why not build a Bee House for the hives as this would keep them protected from adverse weather conditions.

I have a bee shed! It used to house Slovenian hives which are made to go into a building, but I decided they weren’t right for me so I modified the exits and now have two national hives inside. We had built this summer house that had no purpose, so it’s now officially my bee shed!
I have a Bee House which I bought at a Bee Roup many years ago, it is excellent for manipulation in inclement weather and keeps all equipment together.

Corkscrew ground anchors - good idea! Thanks for the welcome :)
I use the corkscrew dog lead anchor type found in pet shops or the pet section of bigger stores. Very easy to get a purchase on for while twisting in and out and a convenient anchor point for your straps.

Latest posts

Back