Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

nettle 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hi everyone :)

Beginner beekeeper here. I'll shortly be setting up my first couple of hives in an out apiary on the east coast, north of Inverness. It's a lovely site in an old overgrown walled garden, but it's right on the coast and will be quite exposed depending on the wind direction. I'm working out the best way to secure the hives, and will probably set up some screening. I'm sure I'll have a few questions as I go along!

Anyone else have similar conditions to deal with?

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
I do suffer from wind quite badly, one apiary is sheltered enough and the other more exposed to westerlies. I just run a hive strap (ratchet strap) to a simple ground anchor, corkscrew style. I do use very well insulated wooden boxes that are pretty heavy.
Welcome to the forum.:scotland-flag:

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
:welcome:
On the edge of the Peak District now (brought up in Macduff).

All hives on stands, ratchet strapped to hives.
The odd nuc has two BIG slates on instead.
In my early days, wind caught a hinged rood topbar hive, opened the roof and blew it all over. Bees survived but hard work lifting it all back up.. so strapped all roofs down after that.

We see the odd gust of 60-70mph in winter (and swirling cross winds due to our house)
See my avatar.

nettle 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I do suffer from wind quite badly, one apiary is sheltered enough and the other more exposed to westerlies. I just run a hive strap (ratchet strap) to a simple ground anchor, corkscrew style. I do use very well insulated wooden boxes that are pretty heavy.
Corkscrew ground anchors - good idea! Thanks for the welcome :)

nettle 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
:welcome:
On the edge of the Peak District now (brought up in Macduff).

All hives on stands, ratchet strapped to hives.
The odd nuc has two BIG slates on instead.
In my early days, wind caught a hinged rood topbar hive, opened the roof and blew it all over. Bees survived but hard work lifting it all back up.. so strapped all roofs down after that
Ouch, bet that was a mess! Good to know your hives cope now they're nice and secure.

Latest posts