Hello from north devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my frames through the post, hadnt realised you have to assemble them around the foundations.

Jon, unless I'm badly misunderstanding your last post....you should be building your frames first and then adding the foundation, not assembling around it. "Posting" the foundation through the two bottom bars and then nailing in the wedge at the top last to secure it is one of several ways.

Note you may sometimes have to slice a little off the side of some foundation to get them to fit National frames.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry that's what i had meant, watched a video online. I was hoping to make the frames and then decide later if i want to use foundations.

Can you reuse foundations, my main goal is to try and get some honeycomb at some point to let my family try, but dont know how that works if you have foundation with wire on the honeycomb

You buy thin, wireless foundation for honey comb.
E

You buy thin, wireless foundation for honey comb.
E

Or as I accidentally found out...if you buy a cut comb cutter...it presses the wire right out of the comb when you inadvertently find an old rogue one. Middle rib is bit tougher though :)

Hi, yeah i popped in last week, thanks though :) ill have to make another visit to get some foundation.

Has anyone tried fishing line as an alternative for foundation? Im guess this is something that's not worth skimping on though. I just got my frames through the post, hadnt realised you have to assemble them around the foundations.

Picking up my bee suit tomorrow so hopefully ill be able to post some pictures of my swarm lurking in the loft.

I tried fishing line with not much success I used 15 pound line and they chewed through most of it with in weeks

Okay think ill get the standard foundation for the two deeps, then add the super later with thinner foundations.

Got my stand sorted and the hive all stained and protect!

Looks great but next time put the wood that the hive stands on which is part of the frame on top of the legs. A hive can get VERY heavy and you are putting all the strain on the screws. By putting the wood on top of the legs the weight is all on the legs!!! Only being picky though!
E

Looks great but next time put the wood that the hive stands on which is part of the frame on top of the legs. A hive can get VERY heavy and you are putting all the strain on the screws. By putting the wood on top of the legs the weight is

That is a very good point! Might have to strengthen it some how.

After closer inspection in the loft, it turns out its a nest of the humble bumble bee, which is of no use to me because i cant exploit a bumble

However i have seen honey bees going under their window cill. But dont think theres any way of getting at them in the cavity wall.

Is it worth trying to lure them out? Or can it even be done?

Thanks

I think you will find that is a masonry bee!!! Certainly doesn't look like a honey bee to me but I could be wrong
E

Well the hive has been put in place, a shady sheltered spot under a tree. Made a few modifications, tie down points, handles and entrance reducer.

Does anyone think i need like a ventilation or bee entrance hole on the roof section?

Hope the location is suitable!

The entrance reducer is just some PVC trunking with holes drilled in it

Just need some bees now!

Last edited:
Your hive is in the wrong place.
It needs to be out from under those trees.
Some afternoon dappled shade can be beneficial but you will run into all sorts of problems there. Damp for the bees and impossible to inspect come to mind.
A better reducer is simply a 100 x 9 mm slot which is easier to defend than multiple entries and will cause less of a traffic jam

Last edited:
Oh that's anoying, i did have it out in the open near an elderflower tree and some bramble flowers that were full of bees but a family member asked me to move it under this tree so they could cut the grass easier. Might have to persuade her to let me move it back.

Cutting grass round a bee hive will never be easy.....
E

Is it normal to have left over space in your hive? Im guessing theres frames of slightly different sizes but i can fit an entire extra frame inside my "8 frame" langstroth hive.

I'm using the self spacing frames which are 35mm wide. Does the spacing look okay?

Im making up some extra frames, I've put some pins in at the moment to maintain the spacing.

Last edited:
Make up a dummy frame that goes at the end. If you take that out first it is easier to manipulate the others. Basically a flat bit of wood that has lugs to sit on the runners.
No you don't need a hole in the roof for wasps!
E

Yeah someone else recommend a dummy frame and it sounds ideal! I ended up putting holes in the lid, one in front and the back but i placed the little vents on the frontthat you can see in this picture, so hopefully they will get the ventilation but with no wasps!

Latest posts

Back