Hello from Lincolnshire!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalthamBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi everyone! My names Dan, I'm 26, from Waltham near Grimsby in North East Lincolnshire and I've just purchased my first hive. Going to start the build over the next month and just joined here to get started in the community. If anyone's from my area say hello!

All the best!

Hi Dan, I'm not from your area but a big hello

Welcome to the Forum ... good time to be planning your entry into beekeeping ... plenty to do and read before it all starts to happen. Have you joined an association ? Tell us more - at 26 you are amongst our younger members I suspect ... Lots of old codgers with young minds on here though ....

Thanks for the messages. Yeah I've bought a few books and subscribed to Bee Craft, I've been reading and watching videos online for a while trying to build up my knowledge. I've emailed people about joining the Lincolnshire BKA just waiting for some replies at present. And yeah I do seem to get the idea that I'd be in the younger category but it's only a number! Booked onto a course in May at Thornes for beginner beekeepers so looking forward to that. Hopefully I'll time it all right... Hive complete, do the course then get bee's!

I've emailed two people from the Grimsby district and just waiting for a reply from them, it's just been Christmas and new year so will give them a little more time to get over the festivities haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booked onto a course in May at Thornes for beginner beekeepers so looking forward to that. Hopefully I'll time it all right... Hive complete, do the course then get bee's!

Local BKA almost certainly would run beginners courses and more cheaply too. Expensive ain't best - take it from an old codger. Hope one of you books is "Guide to Bees and Honey" by Ted Hooper MBE now sadly deceased. Good read and great for dipping into.

IF you can get onto the 'local' course, you'll meet local 'beeks' and they may be helpful at a later date.
Also if your branch is like ours you can go and meet different/new beeks at apiary meetings and pick their brains and when you are in SERIOUS need of a bit of kit (swarm season) you may have a phone number.

Welcome to the "hobby" :welcome:

I don't know what T's charge but my guess is that local will be cheaper (sorry Gill).

Hi Dan

I lived for a number of years just down the road from your location in Scartho where some of my family still live. I moved away from Grimsby to join the Royal Navy and now live in Manchester.
Welcome to the forum where you will find expert advice on all aspects of bee keeping, although there may be some discussion regarding the best way to do things.
Hope you have every success.

Regards

Mark

Latest posts

Back