Hello from Lancashire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi folks, just a quick post to introduce myself, an aspiring beekeeper in East Lancashire.
I live up in the West Pennine moors, so am very interested in people who can share experiences of high, cool windy and wet conditions.
I'm not terrifically healthy, in my fifties and probably looking at retiring early. If you wonder why a diabetic guy with allergy problems is interested in keeping bees - so am I. Can't explain that one!
I'm interested in building up a healthy colony and using the open moorland as a source of lovely honey.

Hi and welcome
Im not far from you, a bit lower down, but still windy .......

Have you joined blackburn bka yet, they are a great bunch
Good luck with the beekeeping

I've found it difficult to get to their meetings due to work commitments sadly, but this isn't currently a problem. I'm popping over to the next one at Salmesbury (with luck!).

:welcome:
Hi folks, just a quick post to introduce myself, an aspiring beekeeper in East Lancashire.
I live up in the West Pennine moors, so am very interested in people who can share experiences of high, cool windy and wet conditions.
I'm not terrifically healthy, in my fifties and probably looking at retiring early. If you wonder why a diabetic guy with allergy problems is interested in keeping bees - so am I. Can't explain that one!
I'm interested in building up a healthy colony and using the open moorland as a source of lovely honey.

Welcome

Hi Varan

I am another Blackburn and East Lancs member, living on the edge of Burnley - fairly high though not on moorland. Can certainly advise on the cold wet and windy bit!

Our season is much shorter than some and you need to take care to shelter and/or insulate your hives. I deliberately chose to keep "Black" bees, and mine fly from 10 deg c and above.

Welcome to the madness. PM me if you have any questions

Welcome but a word of caution. If you are prone to allergic reactions it would be wise to test the water at a Bka practical session or two before jumping in.

Latest posts

Back