Hello from Arkansas 100% newbie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7879fordman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Well I'm a 100% newbie . Wanting on 12 nucs to get ready so I can pick them up .

Got 12 new hives that I bought new last year but was to late in the game to find any bees . Going with 8 frame hives .

Am Excited to get started . Will need tons of help I'm sure .
uza3u7u9.jpg

Some I was trying to coax in that are wild . Didn't work or know what I was doing .
by8a3u2a.jpg

Welcome. To attract a swarm an old used drawn frame helps (if you can borrow one) - put it in the centre of the box with a frame of foundation either side of it. Add a drop or two of lemongrass oil to the entrance and the frame.
Good luck.

Welcome and good luck with the game, I hope they don't win !

Have you done a bit of reading or attended a bee keeping course and possibly a bee keeper to help you along the way as it would be a shame to see 12 swarms and no honey to show for all your time and money.
Don't forget to keep us posted along the way and plenty of photos please

I think the idea was to open that yellow hive up if you wanted some bees to set up home inside.

The four bee colours are white/black/yellow/blue if you are into painting hives.

Welcome and good luck with the game, I hope they don't win !

Have you done a bit of reading or attended a bee keeping course and possibly a bee keeper to help you along the way as it would be a shame to see 12 swarms and no honey to show for all your time and money.
Don't forget to keep us posted along the way and plenty of photos please

Ya done lots of reading . Haven't took a course . But do have a bee keeper or two that's helping .

I know I'm jumping in deep but I will either sink or swim I guess .

And I need the honey and even more for pollination of a 20 acre peach orchard .

And ya will take photos .

Last edited:
I think the idea was to open that yellow hive up if you wanted some bees to set up home inside.

The four bee colours are white/black/yellow/blue if you are into painting hives.

Ya I painted them all yellow . Was going to be white but the wife bought a paint that needed to be tinted she thought she grabbed white . But I was a clear snot looking stuff so I had some yellow so I mixed it with it and it came out like the hive posted that's painted .

good luck going straight in with 12 :)
baptism of fire .
glad you have some help.

:welcome:

Oh how I like that brand new hive look! 12? Wow, hope you have lots of time on your hands! Good luck and welcome
E

Wow, starting with 12, good luck with that and hope all works out for you.

Ya everyone says I should be fine most said start with say 10 hives .

And ya time I guess I have I don't really have a 9-5 type job working for someone . I work for my self . I'm a farmer / cattle rancher . Have 500 acres of land .

Ya everyone says I should be fine most said start with say 10 hives .

And ya time I guess I have I don't really have a 9-5 type job working for someone . I work for my self . I'm a farmer / cattle rancher . Have 500 acres of land .

Ya ... we call that a COUNTY over here !

Welcome

What is the forage like over there in Texas when the peach blossom is not in flower? Is there plenty of diversity to keep them going through the season?
Best of luck!

Made me some hive stands today made 3 going to make one more so I can place 3 hives and have room to work them . But later if needed I can place 5 hives on each stand . Just got to get them setup where there going to live .

2ybubyna.jpg

urynane6.jpg

a6ubu8ur.jpg

Started the yard mock up . 9 hive at this location at this time . 3 at another location .
And no that's not me in the pic it's a hired hand .
ene6ase4.jpg

e9y6epyj.jpg

zajuba4a.jpg

ynu4u8et.jpg

What a pretty sight :)
Two things come to mind. Make sure those legs are propped up really solidly on bigger slabs? Those hives are going to weigh some with three or more supers on.
The front row.......you might get into trouble inspecting them right in the flight path of the row behind.
The whole might be better placed in arc.
Oh and welcome :)

What a pretty sight :)
Two things come to mind. Make sure those legs are propped up really solidly on bigger slabs? Those hives are going to weigh some with three or more supers on.
The front row.......you might get into trouble inspecting them right in the flight path of the row behind.
Oh and welcome :)

Ya going to use concrete blocks under all the legs .

And ya double stacking rows I am worried about there 10 feet apart . Talked to a local and he has his at that . My plan is to stager them so the empty spot is in front of the rear . Was and still not sure it's a good idea but that's why I posted the pics and that was just a mock of the site so I can change it as needed .

Certainly set yourself a challenge - good to hear that you have someone to call on for help when you need it. Total beginner here also - taking over just 4 hives - lots to learn. I wish you every success with your new venture. Will look forward to hearing about how you get on.

And ya double stacking rows I am worried about there 10 feet apart . Talked to a local and he has his at that . My plan is to stager them so the empty spot is in front of the rear . Was and still not sure it's a good idea but that's why I posted the pics and that was just a mock of the site so I can change it as needed .

You could just turn the outer row of boxes through 180 degrees, so the entrances are facing towards the fence rather than towards the inner row of hives. That way you should (might) end up with a clear walkway between the two rows.

Made me some 5 frame nucs/swarm boxes today.
za5udy5e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back