Heather Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumberman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 and ahem "a few more"
/Rant

I know I should be grateful, but I have just spent a most unpleasant afternoon extracting. Had one super of capped cut comb, rest uncapped been ripening for a few days.

Needling it is a right faff, then needs spinning for about 10 minutes. Goes back to solid at the bottom of the extractor, so needs another stir to get it to come out of the tap. Then needs constant stirring to get it through the sieve.

Personally I don't particularily like the stuff, and putting up with the smell all afternoon has made me feel a bit ill.

Still got some that needs pressing, but that can wait for the moment.

Cut comb is, on the other hand, a dawdle. Stuff so bleeding solid that you can cut it up with almost no mess or drips at all.

/Rant off

Not agitated enough if it was going off in the extractor.

If not properly geared up for it then press or cut comb. Or feed to bees if truly desperate though it is not considered the best of winter feed due to the high pollen load in it: think high fibre diet.

PH

are these roller things any good for loosening it
Img664.jpg

You can try...

Good luck

The pins on them though are very fine compared to the "proper" needler.
Mind you the cost is literally a fraction.

PH

Mind you the cost is literally a fraction.

PH

Tell me about it...- and it didn't come with instructions. Needling across the narrow width of the super appeared to put less strain on the comb, but whether an up and down movement, or a slight lateral 'vibration' was the best mode I am not sure. Your opinion PH?

I would work it thoroughly on both sides. By that I mean several times, maybe 10?

Worth a try.

PH

my bees brought it in last year for the first time and i loved it,a real pain to extract,i ended up scraping the combs back and then straining but it was worth it

Latest posts

Back