Heather Blend

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daroco

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It looks like I'm going to have a good crop of heather honey, but because I'm not in a heather area myself I'm a bit concerned that heather cut comb won't sell that well (in fact my summer honey cut comb hasn't sold particularly well either). So it looks like I'm going to press out the honey when the hives come back - so I'm thinking about bottling it blended with honey from here. Am I better holding onto the heather until spring and mixing it with OSR or will I be able to get a good result from blending with my summer honey?

In my experience cut comb sells steadily and I always sell out of it, particularly the heather.
But blend Heather honey....wash your mouth out with soap for daring to suggest it :) ....never! It's liquid gold. Bit like adding bitter lemon to a decent malt whisky.
Just be sure it's proper heather honey if you advertise as such. If not sure, call it moorland Honey.

Bit like adding bitter lemon to a decent malt whisky.

:iagree:
You will always find a select group of people who appreciate heather honey/comb honey. IMO hold onto it and don't blend it. It may sell slower than your regular honey, but, it is something special that you can offer that most people around here can't.
I'd be very suprised if it hasn't all gone by Christmas

It's definitely proper heather - the hives are surrounded by ling and nothing else visible for a good few miles. Also by taste and appearance of what is stored I'm pretty certain it is pure ling (there was a little bell out when the hives first went there - but that has all gone and none seems to have been stored in the supers). I know what you mean about mixing the heather with something else - but not being in a heather area, I'm worried that there won't be the appreciation of heather honey that there is elsewhere. Still, perhaps I could try delis and the like nearer Christmas with people looking for a 'feature' on their cheese boards etc.

The cut comb has barely had any interest! Will have to see how it's got on at Hexton Farmers Market today - but I think the weather will mean that's been quiet. Again, I think it's a case of people not knowing how to eat it!

How should it be eaten, what is the correct way?

Ha ha! I know how I eat it - but I think a lot of people that buy honey from me just look at it and think how am I going to eat it. And have this unsure look on their face when I describe all the different ways they could have it.

Spread it like you would a tub of margarine, but turnover half way through when you come to the "rib"; but only if you want to..
I also recommend they put it out alongside their cheese board....it's great with cheese!

Straight from the hive.
Remember to move away and unzip your veil.
I have lost count of the number of times I've stuck my finger in some honey from broken brace comb and tried to get it to my mouth through my veil!

Why is it great with cheese?

I like it with cheese too. Think it's the contrasting tastes and more importantly textures that I enjoy. Cheese is quite high in salt and there's plenty of examples of examples of salty and sweet combinations.

Maybe. I don't know. Why do I get the impression you are being unnecessarily dismissive of other people's comments?

Latest posts

Back