Heather 2021

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone told me the critical month for the heather and rainfall was May
Limited experience tells me it's true for bell on heathland: two years out of the four that I've had bees there it rained in May & June and the heather performed, this year for the best.

Other two seasons was dry as a bone in those months and not a drop of heather came in.

Problem is getting them mated up on the moor though, certainly where I am as no other beekeepers around & I reckon chances of her making it back from a mating flight at this altitude unless a v calm day will be slim. Plus I'd like to get them back home 1st week In September!
I tend to agree but I have 18 colonys up there so there is more of a chance of her Mating so I will try it if she doesn't come back then the colony will get united.
Aldepending when the flow stops for me is when I will bring them back down, the flow hasn't eased any by what I'm seeing on Friday and even yesterday in the mizzle.
Next weeks forecast is really good 22+
Colonys on the lowland stances are perminent sites.
The only ones I want to bring home are on high ground(Clee) and two lowland sites (Clee).

Shropshire hills looking buetifull today after the sun came through.
Still lots of Heather pollen going In so the Heather is still producing nectar flow. Hefted and some are feeling nailed to the growned, going to be interested bringing them home.
I saw quite a few hives with young bees doing there oriantating today, added a supers to two double brood that have a mix of Heather and clover mixed fields to go at.

And another thing all 8 apiarys in this area have been hitting the Heather even the ones at the other end of the valley over two miles away.

Last edited:
View attachment 28123View attachment 28124
Nipstones/nipstones Rock looking buetifull today after the sun came through.
Still lots of Heather pollen going In so the Heather is still producing nectar flow. Hefted and some are feeling nailed to the growned, going to be interested bringing them home.
I saw quite a few hives with young bees doing there oriantating today, added a supers to two double brood that have a mix of Heather and clover mixed fields to go at.

And another thing all 8 apiarys in this area have been hitting the Heather even the ones at the other end of the valley over two miles away.
Agree, every apiary is flying to the heather it really is an exceptional year for it. Even down in the town they are flying to it. Better flow than balsam judging by the smell and pollen going in.

At home a field flight away from the heather, I put a new empty super on my double brood colony (14 frames) on Sunday evening, when I checked yesterday it was completely full. 3 full ones now. Took out 4 capped frames and added 4 empty plus an extra empty brood comb below.

Added a 3rd super on my colony directly on the moor as they’d filled the second in the last few days. Photo from Wednesday.
Looking at the heather and the flowers, how open they are and the colour, think there is about one more week left.

Like bullets leaving the hive and scrambling enthusiastically back in, they really want to work.

Attachments

• FEE7993C-E868-41EA-A9E3-853B475964C7.jpeg
    FEE7993C-E868-41EA-A9E3-853B475964C7.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 14
Agree, every apiary is flying to the heather it really is an exceptional year for it. Even down in the town they are flying to it. Better flow than balsam judging by the smell and pollen going in.

At home a field flight away from the heather, I put a new empty super on my double brood colony (14 frames) on Sunday evening, when I checked yesterday it was completely full. 3 full ones now. Took out 4 capped frames and added 4 empty plus an extra empty brood comb below.

Added a 3rd super on my colony directly on the moor as they’d filled the second in the last few days. Photo from Wednesday.
Looking at the heather and the flowers, how open they are and the colour, think there is about one more week left.

Like bullets leaving the hive and scrambling enthusiastically back in, they really want to work.
Interesting year indeedy :giggle:.
date stands the flow started on the 10th of August at the above photo.
It has slowed right down at low levels on the Clee, not to many frames but brood nests are chocker for winter and with the ivy, I won't be feeding half of my colonys, well worth moving them to Heather. I've sourced a press as I'm going to be extracting from 18 colonys.

A few things to do differently.
1. Keep colonys separated / spaced because of drifting, one of the stacks of two was A demaree and the brood box and two supers are all but capped, you can watch the drifting with the activity at the entrance.
2. Never presume just because flowers are out in force that this is going to produce a good nectar flow, it has know meaning at all.
Watching the entrance for copious amounts of Heather pollen and the general flow activity you see when there is one.
3.Heather produces nectar at very low temps lower than I thought.

Interesting year indeedy :giggle:.
date stands the flow started on the 10th of August at the above photo.
It has slowed right down at low levels on the Clee, not to many frames but brood nests are chocker for winter and with the ivy, I won't be feeding half of my colonys, well worth moving them to Heather. I've sourced a press as I'm going to be extracting from 18 colonys.

A few things to do differently.
1. Keep colonys separated / spaced because of drifting, one of the stacks of two was A demaree and the brood box and two supers are all but capped, you can watch the drifting with the activity at the entrance.
2. Never presume just because flowers are out in force that this is going to produce a good nectar flow, it has know meaning at all.
Watching the entrance for copious amounts of Heather pollen and the general flow activity you see when there is one.
3.Heather produces nectar at very low temps lower than I thought.
Think I'm a good week behind you - further north. The highest temperature I've had directly on the moor was 17C (21C in the valley 4 miles away). They've been flying v hard at 14C. Pleasure to watch. This last week has been brilliant, as less wind, nice calm conditions.

Well where does heather grow?
Mainly grows up on high ground on shallow peat beds, scree rock and acid soil. Not defined to this though as it will grow very well in lowland areas.
I suppose ling and heaths are really classed as alpine shrubs.

Reactions: mbc
Think I'm a good week behind you - further north. The highest temperature I've had directly on the moor was 17C (21C in the valley 4 miles away). They've been flying v hard at 14C. Pleasure to watch. This last week has been brilliant, as less wind, nice calm conditions.
I think your right Elaine maybe a week behind me here, even in the wind these black girls do work hard, yesterday i sat watching the colonys while having dinner wondering how long it will last.
Had a taste of Heather honey comb straight from the hive yesterday my god food from the heavens, makes all the work fade away when you taste some of that.
I think the last time I had Heather comb honey was in my teens from pa.
Honey sent by the way

Pardon at ground level?
Well isn’t the temperature generally cooler on moorland? Would you think that a plant evolved to attract insects at a lower temperature might secrete nectar at a cooler one than say clover which needs 20 degrees plus to produce?

Well isn’t the temperature generally cooler on moorland? Would you think that a plant evolved to attract insects at a lower temperature might secrete nectar at a cooler one than say clover which needs 20 degrees plus to produce?
3c different every 1000ft you climb. Yeah I get it dani, don't forget I've lived on hills most of my life and around alpine flora, but not so long with the bees being up here.
Altitude apiarys are always going to be cooler.
The bees head south for the heather to start with in the morning..
Next season I think I will spend a few nights up there with them I would like to gather more information.
Clover I've seen being worked on high ground 18+ c.

3c different every 1000ft you climb. Yeah I get it dani, don't forget I've lived on hills most of my life and around alpine flora, but not so long with the bees being up here.
Altitude apiarys are always going to be cooler.
The bees head south for the heather to start with in the morning..
Next season I think I will spend a few nights up there with them I would like to gather more information.
Clover I've seen being worked on high ground 18+ c.
Well we got there

Putting clearer boards in today as the Heather flow on Thursday/Friday is starting to slow up.
Removing late summer honey and extracting and jarring up spring and summer honey.
Going to look at a Heather press tonight.

I've had a few hives vist the heather from five mile distance this year. Yet some hives in the same apiary have brought no noticeable nectar from it. The smell really is sickening after a while lol. When I go up to the bees at the heather the smell is pungent

Last edited:
Back