Healing honey from Wales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of better herb that will give a calming effect :sifone:

haha
no comment.
My friend asked me the other day.. if your bees fed on cannabis plants would the honey make you stoned ?
I had no idea what to say.
If it was true he suggested a move to jamaica.

The Galium genus (?) seems to have a huge number of species - there are 58 beginning with a- alone listed on Wikipedia, although only 15 wild ones in total listed in Keble Martin (The Concise British Flora.)

Perhaps the one that has the enhanced antibacterial properties is introduced?

Salamagundy
Got same reply as you from Jenny a couple of weeks ago....
​Hi Hywel
I ran the initial screen on your honey samples and there is good activity against MRSA. This activity the subsides when you add catalase, a common chemical used to neutralize hydrogen peroxide. This is a common occurrence in 90% of the honeys we test.
The pollen/DNA analysis takes much longer to carry out and only a few honeys are tested on this.
We are currently in the process of screening further honeys on high throughput next generation illumina sequencing which we are optimizing in Aberystwyth. If you want anymore detail there is information on the cardiff school of pharmacy website and the national botanical garden of wales website, a mention on the radio would be excellent but we are currently not looking for any more samples to test.
Thank you for your email
Best wishes
Jenny

Also had same info from Les Baillie regarding bluebells and gallium
The strongest honey re antibacterial activity was from a druid geezer in Towyn who had a tiny garden and only a couple of hives.
Bluebells and gallium present

Last edited:
but we are currently not looking for any more samples to test.
Thank you for your email
Best wishes
Jenny
Got to be creful we don't confuse the message here - jenny's project, I believe is at an end but this one headed by Dr Arwyn Jones is a new launch (plastered all over the press and eisteddfod maes and his message was - 'send them in'

Got to be creful we don't confuse the message here - jenny's project, I believe is at an end but this one headed by Dr Arwyn Jones is a new launch (plastered all over the press and eisteddfod maes and his message was - 'send them in'

Sure I've seen 'Arwyn's Patent Honey Elixir' on sale in our local pharmacy...;)

Latest posts

Back