Healing honey from Wales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Nice snippet on the news tonight. Some Welsh honey is as good as Manuka in it's antimicrobial properties.
Well, we all knew that:facts:
Cardiff University is looking for more Welsh honey to test.

My wife has two customers who swear by our honey to treat their hayfever. She has always said that the honey is no magic potion that will work instantly but the one girl was suffering badly because she had finished her jar. She bought another and the following day was fine and she insists it's down to the honey. I'd never have believed it but who am I to argue?

They were collecting honey samples at the eisteddfod, sorry now I didn't submit a sample myself, I always put my honey on cuts and they heal completely in days

Anyone wishing to contribute to the project should send a 200g sample to: Miss Jenny Hawkins, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Redwood Building, King Edward VII Avenue, Cardiff, CF10 3NB.

About 20years ago I had a butcher friend in Broad street Wolverhampton Jim McNally and he used to buy off me quite a bit one day I said to him Jim you certainly like honey and he said no I can't stand the stuff I put it on the ulcers on my legs and wrap it in cling film to keep it off the bed clothes he swore it was the only thing that did any good

They were collecting honey samples at the eisteddfod, sorry now I didn't submit a sample myself,

I need to send a sample - didn't know my mother was going to the eisteddfod until it was too late - we can send them together if you like Paul

Anyone wishing to contribute to the project should send a 200g sample to: Miss Jenny Hawkins, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Redwood Building, King Edward VII Avenue, Cardiff, CF10 3NB.

Funnily enough this is a 'new' project so:

Samples can be posted to: Dr Arwyn Jones, Cardiff School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Redwood Building, Edward VII Avenue, Cardiff, CF10 3NB.

I submitted my honey a while ago. This was the reply I got from Jenny, the PhD student doing the research:

I can confirm I tested your honey and it showed good activity against the hospital pathogen MRSA. This is a common finding seen in many natural honeys. When I performed the neutralization assays it was clear this activity was due to hydrogen peroxide, a known antibacterial compound found in honey. For now, no further work is being carried out on the samples as I am focusing my studies on just a select few which have shown high levels of plant-derived antibacterial activity.
We are currently writing applications for further honey projects and hope to use the collected samples again in the near future
Thank you for the sample you sent and your contribution to this research!

I tell customers my honey is effective against MRSA but not that it can be used to bleach hair....

SWMBO went to a talk by a scientist at the National Botanic Gardens of Wales, who mentioned the two plants (identified by pollen) they thought were responsible for the high levels of plant-derived antibacterial activity Jenny mentions. Unfortunately we can't remember what they were (honest!) but neither was leptospermum scoparium....

25 yrs ago my brother was confined to a wheelchair following an accident

He was taken to a longstay hospital at Rookwood near Cardiff ,honey potions were regularly used to treat pressure sores

Mam was talking to Dr Arwyn Jones at the eisteddfod last week - they are desperate for as many beekeepers as possible to send in their honey samples - i think they'll even accept ones from England at no extra charge

Have sent some of mine off. It would be nice if researchers would reciprocate the help given by providing a breakdown back to the beekeepers.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mam was talking to Dr Arwyn Jones at the eisteddfod last week - they are desperate for as many beekeepers as possible to send in their honey samples - i think they'll even accept ones from England at no extra charge

Should I just send some in? what info do they need with it?

I'll sort some out too. I even have some I took off brood frames in the middle of the willow flow. I might just ask them to maybe give me an idea of what pollen they find in the samples.........well, you can only ask.

Please remember that the honey has to be UNFILTERED to be tested.

When Jenny visited us she made a point of asking for NO filtered honey.

Back