Hawthorn it is then?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Some in the Irish beekeeping fraternity think Hawthorn pollen to be white for sure. I am just wondering if this is why my bees have white faces in the morning with nothing in their pollen baskets (going for the nectar). Late morning they did however come back with white pollen. In the afternoon it was all apple again, but not from my tree anymore. The flow from Hawthorn is very unpredictable apparently, but very nice if you get some honey from it. Anyone got experience of Hawthorne?

It is quite a dark coloured honey, with a distinctive aroma, full of flavour. Nice honey if you get a flow from it. Not even out here and it's nearly June!

It's about all we get round here in any quantity, makes for a grainy honey but quite mild
E

lots of it out i west Sussex yesterday but /OSR was only comming in to bloom on some fields

I watched bees vigorously working a hawthorn today, Their pockets where full of white pollen

Hi Redwood and Keith,
The white sounded good Redwood. I know it is difficult with photography Keith, but the pollen my bees collect seems whiter than that. Did they get their faces dusty with pollen too? How does it compared with your colour white Redwood. Maybe I am colour blind? But then again the bees look very different in the sun shine too. Nice shots again Keith and I do like the dark bees. Thank you both.

we are still waiting on the hawthorn to come into bloom over here. the first few flowers are starting to show but not much

Mines been out for a week - strange thing is that I haven't seen any of my bees on it.

has to have the right conditions for the bees to work it

Hawthorne local to me came into bloom pretty much at the weekend just gone, and my bees are bringing the pollen back by the bucketload now. Nice to see!

it was a hot sunny day on Sunday and the ground's wet....I think urban bees out in the residential suburbs are spoilt for choice. The only thing they stick around for are my patches of borage and chives

May Blossom out here. I heard that there are two types( UK and continental) one flowers early one later. It does seem to be the case around here. I also heard that it has to be very warm for Hawthorn to produce nectar. The fragrance from it is certatainly very heady in warm conditions.

Back