Hatched queen cells?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndreaW

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Did an AS 8 days ago, moving a virgin queen and a frame of brood to a new BB with a super of stores. Left a 3 capped QCs in the old BB with existing bees and got rid of rest of QCs.

Went to check today to see what had happened to QCs and if anymore had been started. They haven't made anymore, but I don't think there were larvae young enough to start more QCs - youngest larvae was probably about 5 or 6 days old (guestimate on size). All capped QCs are now open and empty - no obvious caps that have been cut open (do they always have this?) and one looked like it had been torn on the side. Would the bees have torn them down if they have a queen already that I missed? Colony seemed very settled and there is a flow going on now from local OSR I think so bees starting to build up stores again.

I know I will only know for sure by waiting a few weeks and doing a test frame if no evidence of queen. Does it sound like I might have a virgin queen in the hive though. Would the bees decide to tear open the cells themselves if there was no queen present?

If some cells have been torn down from the side, my experience is that either there is a hatched virgin or none of the queen cells were viable. The latter could happen if the cells were chilled or shaken too vigorously during the AS manipulations or if there weren't enough bees to keep the cells warm. I suspect you will have a virgin and hopefully some decent mating weather in the next few days

Only one appeared torn. There are still a lot of bees in this colony and we were careful to brush rather than shake all the frames. Thank you I am quite hopeful as they seemed good natured and happily going about their business. Have been rereading Hooper and will make a decision in a month as to whether Q+

You can do a test frame now.

No need to wait weeks, the result will be the same.

PH

Just a bit worried about going in and out too much as supposedly twin queens in both my gives at present. No eggs or larvae in either at moment, will leave it a bit then get a frame from cbka colleague:biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Did an AS 8 days ago, moving a virgin queen and a frame of brood to a new BB with a super of stores. Left a 3 capped QCs in the old BB with existing bees and got rid of rest of QCs.

I'm a bit confused, if it's an AS why have you moved a virgin queen and not the old queen?

Virgin Queen

If your looking for evidence of mated virgin Queen, the quickest i have observed eggs is at 17 days from release into hive.
But that was under ideal conditions. No such conditions this year yet.
I would leave well alone.
Bob.

I'm a bit confused, if it's an AS why have you moved a virgin queen and not the old queen?

Sorry about that, I'm confusing you a bit. I had capped queen cells, clipped queen which I think was lost when they tried for a primary swarm. They returned and In the meantime with bad weather the virgin hatched. Did an artificial swarm with the virgin as I wanted to increase colonies and also try to avoid cast swarms as still a very congested hive at that point. I did possibly get one cast but this is from a neighbour's comment so not certain.

If your looking for evidence of mated virgin Queen, the quickest i have observed eggs is at 17 days from release into hive.
But that was under ideal conditions. No such conditions this year yet.
I would leave well alone.
Bob.

Thank you I think I will. We are on holiday for a week in two weeks so given they are no longer making swarm cells and seem to be bringing in nectar I will leave them be and just check state of supers every so often until then :nature-smiley-016:

Aaaagh think they threw off another cast - lovely cluster on my neighbour's garden bush - my bees seem to have a thing about Sundays:rolleyes:

Back